1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebacc help!

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by AcademyL, Jun 1, 2016.

1. AcademyL

AcademyL New commenter

Hi,

If a students sits GCSE Biology in 2016 (ie our year 10 triples now) and they do badly and we get agreement from all parties to remove them from triple and they do Core and Additional in year 11... will core and additional take over from GCSE Bio in the EBacc bucket for 2017? as they need either all three science or core/additional and then GCSE Bio go into the open group?

I have been asked this question by our Head of Science and I'm a little unsure as to what I should answer! Help please?

Thanks. xx

2. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

Should you have asked this in the Science forum???

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Core and Additional Science wouldn't count at all in this situation. Only Biology would.

The first qualification a student enters determines the 'pathway' he/she is on. Therefore, a student taking Biology is on the separate sciences pathway and only other separate sciences would count towards any league table measures.

A similar rule exists for English GCSEs. It's stop schools bypassing the first entry rule.