1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ebac Back in the News

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by SteveWoodhouse, Jun 24, 2011.

1. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

Overnight there's clearly been an orchestrated campaign by NATRE to get a story in the news, and with some success.

The Guardian, The Independent, and (more importantly in this case) the Conservative Party house newspapers the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph are all running with the story that one in four schools are not doing any RE in KS4, that the government has removed OFSTED from policing the matter, and that uptake at GCSE has been hit badly by its non-inclusion in the EBac.
    The timing is rather excellent, given that the government's announcement of any possible changes to the EBac is due in the next 4 weeks. The government's main argument for keeping RE out is that it is compulsory - an argument which has now been dealt a large blow.
    Links to The Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/24/schools-not-teaching-religious-studies
    The Independent:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/one-in-four-schools-ditches-re-lessons-2302031.html
    The Mail:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007570/One-state-schools-flouts-duty-teach-RE.html?ITO=1490
    The Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8594315/RE-lessons-dropped-by-a-quarter-of-comprehensives.html
    Well done, NATRE.
    Steve W

2. I'll second that - absolutely fantastic work by NATRE. Round of applause from everyone.

3. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

I see NATRE have the original press release up at their news webpage:
    http://www.natre.org.uk/news.php
    I like the title 'RE Big Push Release Final' .
    One last big push it is, then.
    Steve W

4. Couldn't agree more! Well done, NATRE. Many thanks.
    Carrie

5. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

If you are an RE teacher DON'T read the comments section at the base of the Guardian's online report. You will be seriously depressed.

The irony is they have the nerve to accuse RE teachers of bigotry, fairy stories and spreading mumbo jumbo...then you read their bigoted, ignorant nonsense.

6. Well done NATRE indeed!
    The Independent comments section is also highly depressing, interestingly the Telegraph's is much more balanced - feels like a very freaky friday

7. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. All those people that posted, they're all the reason why we HAVE to teach RE! Imagine letting the kids loose into a world where 90% of people are still religious and yet these loudmouthers think they know it all. I can't SAY how annoyed I was after reading those comments.
    I felt like I wanted to reply and defend my subject but as the comments got increasingly belligerent I realised there's no point, you can't reason with people who feel that way.

8. Given that RE teaches religion and religion is fiction, there is a compromise to be had.
    Integrate the RE material into English literature GCSE and scrap the A-level RE.
    RE should not be part of the ebac. Instead, important subjects such as Russian should be included in ebac.

9. For those of you who don't want to read the forums on The Guardian and Independent after the EBacc article, this is a good indicator of some of the bizarre comments from people who appeared to be alluding to their experiences of Religious Instruction in the 1970s. However, they weren't pretending to be Russian.

10. Yes well done to Natre. Let's hope that Governent pay some attention. The comments in the Guardian although depressing don't surprise me at all; sadly. Nor does several schools not teaching RE.

It would have helped really if RE had have been made part of the National Curriulum all along rather than part of the basic curriculum and left to a local agreed syllabus; where there is only a recommendation over time spent at each key stage rather than it being an absolute requirement.

Let's hope the Goverment do a U turn and include RE or at least look seriously at the provision of RE that schools should provide.

11. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

/p

Totally agree with you, Jersey. This is an area of massive ignorance and prejudice. I am delighted with NATRE for getting the coverage, though..

Just off to the Education Festival where I hope to beard Mr Gove - or at least some of his body-guard. I've printed out three of my resources as books to present him with. Just came on the TES to download the directions from the resource about it I put up earlier.

in haste and never give up.

love to you all - (we have to love everyone, even the enemy. You never know, he might start to learn something if he hangs about around this site for long enough.)

DurgaMata