1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eating overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Oldgit61, Mar 28, 2012.

1. A lightly grilled Middle manager over a hot chappati.
    Washed down with a bucket of carbolic.

2. Un pincho de tortilla.
    I hated Thai food. It was like the after-effects of having your lips injected with collagen.

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Not current one but last one!
    A huge terrine of soup - fine layer of MSG and there lurking beneath when ladle is plunged in - a whole chicken - complete with beak; eyes; claws n nails - all skinny and bald! Such a 'pleasant' experience!

4. bulegila

bulegila New commenter

Soto Ayam with a good bit of sambal hijau (chilli) for a kick. IMO this is the world's best chicken soup.

5. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Desserts from Abdul Rahim's Koueider. Egyptian food isn't that great, but they make some stunning desserts (and I'm not generally a dessert eater).
    Lamb chops at the BCA in Maadi. I'm quite liking Lebanese wine too, given that the competition is pretty awful.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Una fritura malagueña.
    Guaranteed 3,000 calories per serving.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is a few years since I was last in Romania and drank lacrima Ovidiu. Mrs Hippo is Russian and so I have become partial to hearty soups and ice-cold vodka.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Current place Fondue Chinoise washed down with several jars of Wiesbier.
    Last place...hmmm...No one is ever going to visit Norway for its culinary expertise.
    Abu Dhabi: Chicken ginger and Keema Fry at Al Fujeirah Restaurant on the back of Hamdan St.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

De acuerdo.
    Squid, which I ate about five times a week on the shores of the Straits of Johor raised my cholestrol to amazing heights.
    A plato tipico in San Salvador takes some beating. I used to eat tortillas de maíz with lime and salt straight off the griddle in Merliot.
    Machas y Almejas at our monthly gentlemens' night out in Santiago de Chile.
    Pisco sours in the Valle de Elqui (homenaje a Gabriela Mistral)
    Almost any restaurant in India produces amazing grub but Kake da Hotel in Delhi, scrubbed formica and queueing in the street unless you have contacts, which I do, is the best.

10. Sometimes all I can think about is a greasy bacon butty with HP sauce.
    I should get out more I suppose.

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Ceviche.

12. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Used to get a great Kebab (and 0.5 litre beer) at Herrstrasse S-Bahn station in Berlin: for only 4.50 Euro.

13. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Hefeweizen (Erdinger will do) and a pair of decent Weisswurst on the Marienplatz in the early morning sunshine.

14. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Sorry, pistachio ice-cream in the Souk Hammadiyeh is another favorite.

15. Nothing can beat a good Chicken Amok.

16. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

An ID and tonic, followed by one of Simon's pies is a very tasty supper!

17. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

xachipuri

18. ian60

ian60 New commenter

A pile of biltong and a cool box full of Castle Lager looking out at the Khalahari

19. And some years ago that would have been an eth and tonic and the left overs of last night's darts' function....

[​IMG]

20. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Over here it's hard to beat the local delicacy of good old smazeny syr - or fried cheese, yes that's a block of (usually edam) cheese deep-fried and in breadcrumbs.
    A fantastic post-pub snack.