1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eating during free periods

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zara123, Jun 26, 2011.

1. anitameston

anitameston New commenter

I know how difficult it can be to find time to have a snack especially if you have break or lunchtime detentions to do. Your line manager seems to forget that you are not one of the pupils and have hardly grievioulsy transgressed! As for standing up to bullies; this must be done! I was shouted at in a public area by my HoD because I had asked a pupil not to shout out "Oh my G..d" because I was a Christian and found it offensive. The boy had continued to say this and I had given him a detention. I asked my HoD not to shout and said I would take up the matter with the headteacher. At that point, she quickly backed down but I went to see him anyway. He backed me up and she was given a verbal warning. I was on long-term supply and even though I don't think she forgave me for this, she certainly never spoke to me in that tone of voice again. Always try to stay calm and speak to the bully in a serious and controlled manner; don't stoop to their level.

2. Un-believable!!!
    This head teacher is clearly a numpty.

3. Yes
    crisp eating competition sounds like a great idea

4. Maybe you should have shared the crisps with your boss! He/ she was probably jealous of that delicious crunchy sound.

5. As a headteacher I can't believe someone would speak to theirn staff like that for a start and have nothing more to do than make petty rules up ! We thought the staffroom was for eating in !! chocolate /cakes/biscuits/sweets anything we can get our hands on basically !!( no wonder all the dieting doesn't work )
    It is no wonder to me that some heads cant get any goodwill from their staff-treat them with the respect they deserve and you'll have a happy team who works hard with happy children--no wonder some schools are in notice to improve - they should ( and the head) be dragged into the 21st century !!!

6. Please can I come and work for you - you sound great
    [​IMG]

7. That's just crazy!! The staff room is where you should be eating if you're hungry. If you have time off not teaching you should be able to eat whatever you like without being made to feel bad about it.

8. Being openly harangued by a manager in front of colleagues is border line constructive dismissal as well as childish bullying. I would suggest that you report this behaviour to either senior management or your union rep.

9. your boss is obviously insecure and weak, to behave in this way to a young adult in front of an audience is totally crass. You shouldn't worry yourself, just hold your head high in the knowledge that at your young age, you know how people in the workplace SHOULD be treated far better than HE does. Makes me wonder what the reaction of your fellow colleagues was?

10. There is a reason why children aren't allowed to eat during lessons. It's called getting on with learning and good learning behaviour. However, to have a go at a teacher during a free period for this reason is stupid. The boss clearly has nothing better to do. I wonder how many times a day he or she drinks a coffee and has a sneaky biscuit during lesson times? If these are the battles that your SMT are choosing to fight then the rest of the school must be perfect.

11. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

*Wonders if the poster understands diabetes.

12. forkers

forkers New commenter

I wouldn't be that polite.
    This is pathetic, the initial poster should be talking to their Union Rep and an official comnplaint made. There is no reason whatsoever why a member of staff shouldn't be allowed to eat during non contact time, especially when they are working during a break.
    It's allso worth remembering that general employment law applies to teachers as well as teacher specific legislation. Under employment law, you're allowed a break after 4 hours work, I you work durong you break, eating your snack during a PPA is just taking this break that you are entitled to.

13. Thanks for the replies everyone. Understandably a lot of you won't have read through the entire thread since it has ended up quite long - just wanted to clarify a few points - firstly I'm not a teacher, I'm a CS - so I don't have PPA but get on with admin work outside lessons; it's not the HT but my line manager (also not a qualified teacher); she is female, and I'm actually leaving soon anyway.
    My manager raised the incident again in a team meeting (intended to 'clear up issues') and I felt it reasonable to defend myself (against this and similar issues). I felt I responded in an acceptable manner, essentially stating the facts and reasons why I didn't understand the logic of the 'no eating' rule. (I didn't push it and eventually just nodded along with a reluctant 'okay'.) My boss then called a separate one to one meeting, where she 'told me off' very harshly. I ended up in tears with her shouting at me. I've now taken the matter to senior management - maybe I shouldn't have argued my case to my boss, I don't know, but in my book it's never acceptable to make an employee that distressed.

14. It goes a little bit against the grain but a robust response is appropriate. How about a two word reply with the second word "off"?

15. Dear me! How thiings have changed! In my first school, the staff room emptied rapidly when one of the Deputies came in; not through fear of him, but he was notorious for cadging fags from newer members of staff. He tried it on me once, but when I explained that I did not smoke (almost unheard off then, a non-smoking teacher), he said something like, 'don't worry, you soon will'.

16. Hey Zara123, I see we're now famous as this thread has made it onto page 4 of this weeks TES magazine! Make sure you leave a copy, open to the correct page, in your staff room.....next to a packet of crisps!

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Was he correct?

18. Mercifully, no; i did not take up the weed

19. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

erm...she probably needs a snack to prevent a hypo after taking long acting insulin. Who doesn't understand diabetes? [​IMG]

20. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

As a type 2 diabetic I think I understand it quite well. Anyone managing their diabetes well would not need "an ambulance by the end of the day".
    Long acting insulin is usually taken at the end of the day so that it can work overnight. Nowadays I simply look what I'm going to eat, work out the carbs and then have the appropriate amount of insulin. No need for this constant snacking if you've planned properly.
    And there are always glucose tablets if you over did it in a lesson.
    Ambulance lol.