1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eating during free periods

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zara123, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

Just wondered what the general consensus is regarding eating in the staffroom during free periods (whilst working individually).

I got quite badly slated by my boss - in front of colleagues - recently for eating a packet of crisps before break, and it seemed very over the top. It's not something I would normally do anyway but I had a detention at break time so it made sense to snack on something whilst I could.

My boss argues that as the kids aren't allowed to eat except at break time and therefore we can't either - though I can't really understand the logic in that. I wouldn't eat during a lesson, but in the staffroom a small snack whilst working is surely fine?!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Zara

2. Sounds ludicrous to me. Do you all have to wear school uniform too? If you follow his logic, then that is what that means.

3. Welcome to staff room madness.
    Ours is 'healthy school' where children are asked to only have a snack on fruit or veg in the morning (we don't however dictate the contents of their lunchboxes). Naturally our diet-mad HT deems it necessary that we staff do the same behind the closed doors of our staffroom. A packet of crisps or a biscuit brings a sarky comment (except on birthdays when there is cake!)

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Is it a staffroom or a workroom? Perhaps crisps are not the most social thing to be eating whilst people are working.
    I would question being slated in front of other people.

5. I hasten to add that the other people were not sitting very near me and I was being very discreet/quiet - besides, I don't think it was the fact that I was eating crisps that was the issue, just eating generally.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Ahhh teaching - the profession that never fails to make mountains out of molehills.

7. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

I'd tell my boss to **** off... i really would

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Nah... I wouldn't do that.

I would just email them to ask if it's OK for me to go to the toilet, every day, break time, lunchtime or free lesson.....

9. My boss brings in chocolate for staff to eat at break, lunchtime, meetings, frees, between lessons, after school......we really like chocolate!

10. That is Ridiculous! Sounds to me like your boss should be doing your detentions if s/he's that concerned about you eating between lessons. There's dictatorial and then your boss. Madness!

11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

absolutely ridiculous!!

12. Headteachers still have the reputation of being amonst the worst managers and especially at managing their staff. A Headteacher who "tells off" a member of staff in front of other staff really should not be in charge of children let alone adults.So sad that the playground is not the only place where bullying takes place in far too many schools.

13. never heard such nonsence in all my 30years teaching tell him to get a life
    total madness how dare he.....
    its your time !!! Sit and do nothing then see what he says to that!

Find another job

14. JWMU

JWMU New commenter

Its one thing not to eat/drink in front of a bank of computers or a laptop, or have cups of tea placed near childrens work if you are marking it, but thats common sense. Another thing entirely about not eating in the staffroom during free periods. We have a diabetic teacher and if she doesnt eat something at breaktime in the staffroom then we would end up calling an ambulance by the end of the day!

15. i would suggest coming to work in my current school where everyone eats anything at any time with no comment - except somtimes by me as a diabetic who cannot always believe how much my colleagues can eat
    however i would also say that there are other issues in my school which have resulted in me handing in my notice with no job to go to!
    if you can put up with the comments and everything else is ok then you are doing fine

16. Personally I'd think that f##k off would be the polite response. I'm sick and tired of all the ridiculous, petty and puerile attacks on teachers by 'fellow' members of staff. One of my colleagues pointed out to me that, if we treated the PUPILS the way we are treated, we would be in trouble! Take for example, this evening's staff meeting was cancelled this morning and we have been advised to use the time to 'tidy' our classrooms.

17. It's actually my line manager not the HT; I don't know what the HT would say about it all. I'm leaving in a few weeks anyway (I'm not a teacher but a cover supervisor / recent science graduate still trying to figure out what to do with my life!) - this is just one of a string of silly rules; it's time to try something else I think!

All this was just scaring me a bit as a 21 year old with relatively limited work experience - I've been worrying that all jobs are like this and maybe I just had an unprofessional mindset or something, so thanks for the reassurance that it genuinely is ridiculous and not just me being silly. Much appreciated.

18. Presumably Zara's boss hasn't got enough to do...

19. I could never imagine my HT telling me off for that, we are adults!!!

20. slagging you off in front of everyone is very rude and unprofessional! personally i think you should be allowed to eat what you like in a staffroom, as long as you are not gorging yourself on junk food in front of the children. I am sure not all jobs are like this. it sounds to me thet your line manager is just a tad power crazy. next time she 'tells you off in front of everyone' ask to see her one to one(just to show her how things should be done) and explain without getting flustered why her behaviour is out of order regardless of what it is about.good luck!