1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eating Disorder!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Sparkles2010, Jul 15, 2011.

1. In April I had an ED screening at clinic. Never in my life I thought that is where I would end up. 18 months ago I weighed just under 13st and now I weigh 7 1/2 st. I am not anorexic or bulimic. I thought I would be placed in the EDNOS group but I wasn't. However, the outcome was that I doe have a problematic relationship with food etc etc, I am restricting calories, exercising, my periods stopped, I do mis-use laxatives on occaisions. It's ok, I am not in denial, I am having problems and I feel it's getting worse, I have an assessment for therapy next month and also going to be seeing a dietitian. I was restricting calories to around 800-850 a day then it went down to around 600-750. I am not doing it for body image (if I was I think they may have diagnosed anorexia). For me it has been about acheivement... when I step on the scales I feel like I am achieving everytime I see the scales go down and also my GP thinks I am doing it for punishment.
    Please don't judge me etc. Don't tell me 'you are anorexic' etc... I am not! I do cook every single night for myself too by the way. I am not sure why I am posting here. I was told it will probably get worse. I am scared, I wan't it to stop but it's out of control :( I spend hours in Tesco looking at labels etc and when I do cook I am now weighing everything, counting calories etc. Rubbish really!!

2. What can anyone say? It doesn't matter what label you give it: in your effort to control your food intake, you have lost control of it to the detriment of your health.
    I am glad you recognise the problem and have sought treatment. I wish you well.

3. thanks, yes hopefully things will work out. I keep looking out food in shops... the things I miss etc... but can't bring myself to buy them. I didn't lose over 5st because of an ED, the first half was change oof meds, then something happened and I couldn't cope, I started using food as a punishment I guess. Then it went downhill. I see my GP everyweek too. I wan't to get better, I miss so many different foods :( even marmite!! :)
    Hopefully things will get better!

4. Sparkles, can I ask why you think that you aren't anorexic? Thats not meant to be sarcastic at all but everything you describe about your behaviour sounds like anorexia. Controlling your food intake (way below the recommended daily need), obsessively counting calories in food, use of laxitives. Even though it may not have started as an ED it has certainly turned into one now by the sounds of things. Or is there something else that explains this that isn't in the OP?

5. You don't need to be doing it for body image for it to be considered anorexia.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Sparkles is right - Anorexia is not just about the body image thing, although it is often portrayed as such.
    What help are you actually getting?
    Please go to the B-eat website if you haven't already - support of all kinds on there.
    And for what it's worth, the fact that you recognise and can admit that you have a problem is a good start.
    Good luck!

7. Thanks for replies. Yes I do have a problem and want help but no I am not anorexic. I have been screened and recently told by professionals that I am not. Not much chance of that anyway as I do like my food too much anyway -and love cooking too, I eat really healthy stuff these days, unfortunately not enough of it that's all!

And I realise anorexia isn't always about body image. In this case I have not been losing weight for body image nor do I intend to.

I should be starting therapy next month, I also have an appointment to see dietitician and I am having a massive amount of support from my doctor so it doesn't get worse.

8. Oh and JennyMus, yes many of the things I do are signs of anorexia but I am not anorexic. I am only just underweight, it's not the end of the world and I am having help for this. I will get my eating habits back on track - that is all I need, just a bit of a push in getting back to normal. I have been under huge amounts of stress. There is a chance if left untreated then later it could develop into anorexia but right now I have done / am doing everything I can to ensure it doesn't get to this point!

9. I'm very glad to hear you're getting help with your problem and am sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult time. I hope you manage to get your eating habits back on track soon!