1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easy sausage casserole please...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 2, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Option 1:
    <ol>[*]Put raw sausages in a casserole.[*]Add finely chopped raw onions and 2 chopped apples.[*]Mic 1 tbsp Dijon mustard with 1 carton passata and pour over the sausages.[*]Cook slowly in the oven or on the top for about an hour.</ol>Option 2:
    <ol>[*]squeeze the meat out of the skins into a pan and saut&eacute; lightly[*]add 1 carton passata + flavouring to taste (garlic/herbs/seasoning)[*]cook slowly for an hour or so.[*]serve with boiled pasta (stir the 2 together before serving) or potatoes (jacket? mashed?) or just on its own.</ol>My 2 (now 15 and 12) had both these from a very early age and loved them. If you buy "fancy" sausages (eg Sains TTD) you have to add fewer flavourings and the meat content is higher which leads in turn to a more palatable consistency, a good way of getting little ones away from "pap".

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Similar to H's:
    Sausages in oven dish with sliced onions, halved tomatoes, crushed garlic, couple of sprigs of rosemary or thyme, olive oil, slosh of balsamic vinegar, moderate oven 40 minutes, turning once, Robert's your father's brother.
    You can add chilli if you little one can take it! A can of cannellini beans would be spot on as well.
    With mash/polenta/pasta/jackets/even rice.

3. Add carrots, peas, leeks, whatever to increase the veg content. Most important though is to buy decent sausages with a high meat content. My stomach heaves at the thought of what goes into cheap bangers [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Without a shadow of a doubt.
    I think there can be a tendency for some people to buy cheapo sausages, meat, other ingredients etc. when cooking for kids, as if their tastebuds aren't as refined and so it doesn't matter. Quite wrong, I think. I don't mean we should buy the finest organic produce available specially for them, but I do think we should at least buy them the same stuff that we eat. As much so we develop their tastes so they eat the same when they're older. Good on you, OP, for cooking the same things for your little one as you do for yourselves. I'm sure the majority of folk on this forum who have kids do just the same, but I reckon there's a load of people who eat decent grub themselves but will plate up dinosaur fish shapes and alphabetti spaghetti to their offspring.
    Re sausages - I've found that the best commercially available ones are Porkinson's. If I haven't got any from the butcher in the freezer, these are what we invariably buy.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Absolutely agree with the advice to buy 'good' sausages.
    It's no surprise that I use the slow-cooker for my sausage casseroles!
    I like to add onions and sliced apples to mine.
    For the liquid I sometimes add cider - but apple juice would also work well - nothing over sweet.
    And home-made dumplings are a must!...The simplest sort are just flour, a pinch of saltand water mixed to a firmish dough and formed into small balls and popped into the casserole for the last few minutes of cooking...I would add some herbs.....you could aso do dumplings with a little fat added...or potato dumplings..or semolina dumplings...dumplings with croutons in the middle.....

6. Fantastic ideas, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    Nick, I am equally amazed at what some people feed their kids. I have made 90% of her food myself since she we began weaning her and altho it's hard work it's really satisying. She now eats anything and everything but to cut my workload now I'm back at work I'm trying really hard to just give her portions of what we have, altho she has it the reheated the next day. It means that we're now eating better too, so that's a bonus!
    Re. quality of meat, my parents have a farm so I am lucky enough to be provided with home grown sausages, mince, stewing beef and bacon.
    Thanks again.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well jell!

(as the youth of today would say, I'm led to believe)

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Of course we should.
    I don't doubt for a moment that Asian families feed their babies Indian/Chinese or other dishes. Mybe without as much chilli but I'm sure they don't go down the 'baby rice and rusks' route!
    Nothing wrong with that nick. I'm partial to Heinz spaghetti on toast on rare occassions and alphabetti spaghetti is just spaghetti in a different shape! [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No, fair enough Belle - we have spaghetti on toast now and then too (loads of black pepper and crumbled chunks of cheddar stirred through just before serving please, also must be wholemeal or multigrain toast!).
    I mean where parents feed their children this sort of child oriented food as a matter of course, or, as I'm sure happens, where they'd give children this in place of proper spaghetti in a real tomato sauce.
    I made a few batches of pasta for M on the weekend, pureeing the sauces down and using those tiny ditalini pasta in them - a garlicky tomato sauce, spinach and cheese sauce and bolognese sauce with parmesan. Plenty of portions frozen down and she loves them!
    We're still cooking lots of separate things as she obviously can't have any salt, but once we can start introducing salt to her diet, she'll be eating what we eat most of the time. Wormburger, that's a great idea to feed your daughter the next day with what you had the day before. M's dinner time is about 5, which is too early for us!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yummy! (Heinz spaghetti must be my guilty pleasure!)
    Yes, I know what you mean.....the 'turkey twizzler' parents! A bit like your fish shaped 'fish'......bleugh! But BirdsEye cod fish fingers....................now you're talking! [​IMG]

11. Nick, tonight my daughter had thai green curry with chicken, sweet potato, cauliflower & peas in it, plus some rice. Her Dad and I ate most of the chicken last night so she was left with the veg but I think that's ok! We do have food that she can't have a couple of times a week, but on those occasions I just defrost a portion of something I've cooked extra of another time.
    It's really odd, but my sister who was also brought up on a farm (obviously!) and has even married a farmer feeds her LO loads of processed food. I was really surprised as I always had her down as really health concious. I guess lots of people have good intentions but when faced with fussy babies or a lack of time, things turn out differently.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

my 2 ate our food from just under 1 year: curry, chinese, roast, casserole, pasta - everything!
    You just need to stick to your gun and not give in to "kids' food"
    (mind you, fish fingers are fab finger food when they are at that stage!)

13. Preferably do this in a slow cooker - but can be done in the oven

Ingredients
    Susages
    Passata
    herbs and seasonings as you prefer
    If you want add any or all of:
    chopped peppers
    xhopped mushrooms
    tinned canolini or butter beans
    choriso - chopped up
    Boil a kettle
    put all ingredients in a put / slow cooker
    Top up with boiling water (I'd also be adding wine - but as this is for a child I won't)

Either leave al day in te slow cooker or put in the oven for 2 hours

You can also do the same thing with chicken or pork ribs

14. Thanks again for fab ideas. I made a one pot wonder in the end - sausages, butternut squash, carrots, celery, leek, tinned toms and same amount of water, zest and juice of one orange, paprika and then cannelini and butter beans for last 15 mins. It was a recipe from another forum, but I did adapt it following your suggestions. There was enough for 2 adults, 2 toddlers and then 5 toddler sized portions which I froze. I then whizzed up the juice and stray veg, there was loads left over, to make a couple of portions of soup. So a big success. Altho my OH didn't like it so won't be making it for him again!