1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easy quick meals or husband will be divourced

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Rayfin, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hi
    My first post so please help me. Quick history about myself, been married four years have two children and a totally useless husband. We both work full time but he can't put together a simple meal- its not even lazeness he had never cooked a meal before we were married. His mum did everything for him even putting his cereal on his bowl!!!!
    Anyway I've tried an tried and he still struggles, don't worry I never put cereal in his bowl that he learnt very quickly. He just can't cook anything, never even knew how to cook pasta. Rant over!
    I would love to have some ideas/ recipes that he could cook without to many problems please. He's very fussy and does not like mushrooms and peppers (Must have been hit on the head with some veggies) and he loves chicken. So please please share your recipes as I'm sick of his unhealthy diet and anti cooking attitude.
    Gratefully a desperate housewife xxxx

2. Hi
    My first post so please help me. Quick history about myself, been married four years have two children and a totally useless husband. We both work full time but he can't put together a simple meal- its not even lazeness he had never cooked a meal before we were married. His mum did everything for him even putting his cereal on his bowl!!!!
    Anyway I've tried an tried and he still struggles, don't worry I never put cereal in his bowl that he learnt very quickly. He just can't cook anything, never even knew how to cook pasta. Rant over!
    I would love to have some ideas/ recipes that he could cook without to many problems please. He's very fussy and does not like mushrooms and peppers (Must have been hit on the head with some veggies) and he loves chicken. So please please share your recipes as I'm sick of his unhealthy diet and anti cooking attitude.
    Gratefully a desperate housewife xxxx

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

For Mr Rayfin.....
    Chicken in a paper parcel.... switch on the oven...take a large piece of (ovenproof!!!!!) paper....place a chicken breast in the middle. Add chopped veg of your choice - cut them up quite small. Pour over a splash of wine or cider (or apple juice if you don't like/want alcohol)...Scrunch up the paper and fold over the edges sealing it nice and tight - so it looks kind of like a pasty...Now make another one just the same - for the wife!...Place both parcels in pre-heated oven and cook for 20 minutes....Whilst this is cooking you can boil some potatoes or cook some pasta (remember how your good wife has already taught you 'pasta').....To serve place the unopened bag on a plate - everyone opens their own packet at the table! (When you have mastered this...you can try it with different veggies...or different liquid...or use a piece of fish instead of chicken - just cook for 5 minutes less!)
    If you don't already have a slowcooker....get one! Honestly the basic recipe for stew.casserole...is chop up meat, chop up veg...bung into slow cooker...add stock/water/juice/alcohol...put lid on...switch onto 'Auto'...leave for the whole day - watch the footie, take the wife out for a pre-dinner drinkie at the pub....come back home and dinner is cooked!
    Quick dessert (always impresses if you manage two courses!)...Take one tub of plain joghurt (not the 'very low fat' sort and not the fruity type)...empty into a bowl....put this to one side...now this is the 'cooking' bit....take a bar of chocolate (dark works best - look for Green & Blacks - they do really good chocolate!) break the chocolate into chunks and place in a small microwavable cp/bow....Place this bowl into a larger bowl (also microwaveable!) and pour a little water into the outer bowl (the one without the choccie in it!) ...put the bowls into the microwave and heat for short bursts...start at about 30 seconds...the chocolate will start to melt...stir it and out it back into the microwave...repeat the stirring/microwaving until the chocolate is melted..let it cool just a little...carefully pour the chocolate into the bowl of joghurt and mix well...add a drop of booze and/or sugar to taste.....chill in the fridge...meanwhile chop up some soft gruit...bananas ans strawberries work well...open up a packet of marshmallows....to serve just dunk the fruit/marshmallows in the chocolate dip...maybe try feeding each-other!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Get him a good cookbook aimed at the beginner cook.
    Delia is normally good for this sort of thing but many men find her a bit prissy (me included), so something by Jamie Oliver or Nigel Slater would be the thing here.
    Nigel Slater's Appetite or Real Fast Food would be good.
    The earlier Jamie Oliver books (the naked chef ones) or his How To Cook are good. His Ministry of Food book is specifically aimed at the non-cook but I don't have and so can't comment.
    These have all got basics like how to cook a simple soup, stew, casserole or curry; roast a piece of meat or cook a steak or some chops; make scrambled eggs or an omelette; mash, bake, roast, gratiné or chip potatoes etc... Once he's got basics like this under his belt he can venture further.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Some good Cook Book choices there Nick!...I am rather fond of Delia - well, up until the 'How To Cheat' anyway!....Some of Jamie irritates me - especially his 30 Minute Meals.....but would wholeheartedly agree with Nigel Slater's Appetite (one of those cook books you can dip into for pleasure as well as for a recipe!)
    But for a beginner I would wait a while - let them get some hands on down'n'dirty experience cooking something simple - and giving praise where it's due!....before hitting them with a book full of recipes using complicated cooking terms like 'simmer' and 'boil'!

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Take a chunky fillet of fish eg salmon, spread liberally with fresh pesto (chiller cabinet in supermarket) and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for about 12 mins. Serve with salad or new potatoes and steamed veggies.
    Cut chicken breasts into strips. Dip in egg then throw the strips into a zipseal bag of polenta mixed with ready mixed spices eg cajun/ jerk seasoning. Pu the coated chicken onto a greased baking tray and bake for about 15 mins. Serve with baked potatoes, coleslaw and salad.
    Chop up tomatoes, peppers (red and yellow) and put into large baking tray. Add garlic cloves (whole) and a drizzle of oil. Roast for 30-45 mins, turning veg ocassionally. Remove from oven and put contents into large pot with 2 tins plum tomatoes, some fresh pesto or herbs eg basil and a teaspoon of sugar and salt. Cook for 20 mins then blitz with stick blender. Pass through sieve. Use as it is as pasta sauce or thin for soup.
    Cut up veggies into big chunks eg courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, aubergine, whatever takes your fancy and add to baking dish. Add chicken pieces (legs and thighs for preference), some fresh herbs and a scoosh of oil. Toss to coat in oil. Bake in the oven for about 40 mins.

7. 2 x Chicken breast or fish fillet
    Tin of beans (kidney beans or black beans, anything but baked)
    Tub of salsa (OK 2)
    2 pieces of kitchen foil.

Beans in middle of foil, chicken on beans, salsa on chicken - wrap and place in 180 oven for about 30 minutes. Ta da!

Even my pathetic, domestically handicapped BIL can make this, sometimes on a BBQ too!

8. Thankyou all for your lovely suggestions.
    Showed my husband and he said could you just stand by and help me!
    Meaning I do everything in his words and he watches. Have seen him try that before and also burn something on purpose so I do it.
    Will have to spend next 30 years getting him to learn to cook and not burn the house down- such a bad example to our two boys ( mummy is a woman - women cook- don't bother going to the kitchen EVER)

9. Si N. Tiffick

[​IMG]
    My husband was exactly the same, Rayfin. He even phoned me when I was at a conference in the Czech Republic to ask me how he would know when the pasta water was boiling... (I'd left packet tortellini and ready made sauce for him to heat up). I told him to stick his finger in it, if it burned him then he'd know it was boiling,and hung up on him. We are now divorced...but my son told me recently that he still checks whether his pasta sauce is boiling by sticking his finger in. Should have told him to stick something else in...[​IMG]

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My husband isn't what I would call completely useless in the kitchen...but he's not far off, bless him. When I was pregnant last year, he made toad in the hole one night when I was tired for dinner and I went into the kitchen to get a drink as he was about to serve up and the batter hadn't cooked at all. He'd cooked the sausages so far, poured the batter in, put it back in the oven for five minutes and then taken it out. It did taste pretty good once he'd cooked it though. [​IMG]
    He does try occasionally and he is slowly becoming more open-minded about food - main problem is that he is such a Mummy's boy and if he didn't like something, then she'd just make him something else.
    I bought him 'Cook with Jamie' for Christmas but he's gone from being freelance to actually having a 'proper job' as he calls it so hasn't had much time but he is planning to start cooking once a week with my supervision so I can tell him in simple terms what something means. For example, when a recipe just says 'chop an onion' he finds it extremely confusing - 'is it roughly or finely chopped?'. He once cooked something when we first moved in together that said chop an onion and he peeled and onion, cut it into eight wedges and put it in the pan!

11. Mine had an equally domestically challenged mum. She could cook, but didn't really concentrate and made some horrors.
    But, having shown him that seasoning goes further than salt and pepper and introducing him to a range of foods he had never eaten before I just stood back and let him go.
    OK, I eat some weird combinations sometimes, but he takes criticism well - usually by ignoring it and trying the same vile concoction again!
    But he does use cookery books, annotates our food file and is currently enjoying making bread, all sorts of bread.
    Yesterday he made 2 different doughs, l for a loaf and another for ciabatta and pizza bases.
    He is the main cook now. I cook odd bits and he does every day cooking with the occasional scary thing.
    It just takes time and a bit of push. Let your OH start small and build in his own time. Oh, and buy boy books, like Meat on the Bone. Cookery books by men on the more practical aspect of food!
    But be prepared for mistakes, like MrEG. They aren't brought up with creamed, chopped, diced etc and this easy stuff can often be the biggest stumbling block!

12. He tried but failed ;(
    Waslookibg forward to a lovely mealif spaghetti Bol but it was awful. Black chargrilled lumps of meat and rock hard spaghetti with black tips ( how I have no idea).
    Amazingly he wasn't hungry so didn't have any I didn't have the courage to try it so it went into the bin.
    He's upset I didn't try it.
    Might buy a slow cooker and present it to him with some recipes.
    He's starving now and gone out for a take away

13. Beans on toast

Buy a microwave with a 'baked beans' setting, a small pirex dish with a lid and a toaster.
    Open can of beans, empty into bowl, put on lid, pput in microwave and press 'baked beans'.
    Put two slices of toast in the toaster and switch on.
    When the toast has popped and the microwave has pinged put the toast ona plate and pour the beans over.

Make sure the microwave you buy is also a combie and also has a 'baked potatoes' button.
    Take a potato, weigh it, put in combie microwave, put in weight and press 'start'. When it pings put on a plate and add butter, cheese, creme fresh - anything you fancy.
    Once he has mastered these two then go onto things that involve chopping / propper cooking.

14. Don't let him get away with one failed attempt - that's how you get out of doing the dishes....
    If he gets hungry enough he will cook! Do not let him out for a takeaway next time.
    Do you see how he lied when he said he wasn't hungry and then emotionally blackmailed you to feel bad when you wouldn't eat it? Bad mummy's boy!
    Harden your heart.... throw him back in.
    It sounds like he really had to try to get it that badly wrong - how do you blacken spag??

In all seriousness, he has had one spag bol disaster, he should be able to learn from it. So spag bol again. He should be able to avoid the black bits next time.
    Good luck.

15. I agree with Pobble. Don't you dare let him off the hook. Stand next to him and tell him what to do, don't do it for him!
    He is being pathetic on purpose - imo - NOBODY can bAlls up spag bol that badly unless they are deliberately trying to sabotage the whole operation.

16. Si N. Tiffick

I bet he added the spaghetti to a hot pan then added boiling water. By this time the pasta would have caught on the hot pan. Did you tell him how to cook pasta?
    I do think you should have tried it though.
    Often people learning to cook find it hard to get everything ready at the right time. Teach him to prep everything beforehand (like Delia!) then there isn't that time pressure that leads to burned mince.
    I disagree with the other posters, being mean to him will not make him want to cook. Help him learn.

17. Ooooh! I din't mean to suggest being mean to him, just not letting him off the hook like OP said his mum did/does!
    God no!
    I wouldn't have put Climber off for love nor money... he really enjoys it now!
    BUT you do have to be a bit hard hearted and not fall for the old 'washing up badly' trick. We often ate unpleasant meal, still do occasionally, cos we decided to taste and make notes (blech).
    As I said earlier, the hardest bit can be the simple instructions that don't have explanations, like dice, or chop, so walking any newbie through a recipe is always necessary.

18. If you think he was being manipulative when he burnt the spag bol I'd refuse to cook for him again until he gave it a proper go. Show him you can't be messed around.

19. I wasn't suggesting being mean either! I was suggesting that rayfin not let him off the hook but get him to try again!
    I still harbour a sneaky suspicion he messed up on purpose though....

20. I don't think it's being mean if he did this on purpose. If the husband can't be right and treat the OP with respect then he doesn't deserve to have his meals cooked for him. I have spoken about this type of behavior with my partner quite a lot lately. Lots of women at work have husbands who have done the same or who have deliberately burnt their and their OHs clothes so that they don't have to do any ironing in the future. If I had a partner who had done this to me I would have stern words with them and worn them that if they ever did anything as spiteful and manipulative again then it would be the end of the relationship. Although I suspect that it would already be the beginning of the end as I wouldn't want to share my life with some one who acted like that.

However if it was a genuine mistake, my partner has made some disgusting meals, then baby steps and a lot of encouragement would probably be best. Could you not get him to help with a meal? He does the chopping and you do the cooking? Then build him up to cooking a side whilst you do the main?