1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter Start - Advice?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kidders, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I am starting at a new school after the Easter holidays and wondered if anyone has any helpful advice? Unfortunately there is no INSET day before I start so it will be straight into lessons! Any suggestions on how to make the first day / week as smooth as possible?

To add to this I am also going in as Head of Year and conscious that I want to create a sense of presence (it was something that came up in interview). Does anyone know how to help with this when you're new to a school? I've got no problems with that where I am, but then I've been here longer than all the students and taught many of their siblings so have a reputation!

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Some ideas
    • Get the data and put together seating plans for all classes - command the space and tell students where they sit
    • Talk to as many staff as possible and learn their names
    • Presence - talk to children in your year group before, during and after school. Use their curiosity to provide opportunities to find out their interests and build rapport
    • Find out what the school is like when teachers pop into lessons with learning walks (is it quite closed or do they have an open door policy where you can come in and visit your year group)

3. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

You will probably have an assembly at some point in that first week? Use that as a time to say hello.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Don't go in with all guns blazing that first week - be around, pleasant and appoachable - but observe and ask questions. You are new but if this is secondary, Y11s and Y13s will be in final stages of exam revision and all that crazy.

Good luck!

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

This doesn't answer your question really, but, what a brilliant opportunity to be able to start September really well. The summer term may be hard, with exam groups and being new, but there will be gained time and end of term trips. In September when the new school year starts, you'll know the staff, know the photocopier code, know which kids to look out for for good or ill, and any rookie mistakes you make this term will have been forgotten. In many ways, I would think it could be lots better than starting brand new in September. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    sparkleghirl and Kidders like this.
  6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Enjoy your holiday :)

7. install

install Star commenter

Listen
    Absorb
    Work out the students and staff and parents
    Think next September
    Everyone else has been there longer than you ...and this is late in the year

8. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I do yes! Another one of the causes of Easter holiday nightmares!! 'oh lord what do I base it on?!' (I should say I've been delivering assemblies to ks4 for 4 years now but stil!!!)

Any thoughts on a topic for the first one? I try to think back to when we've had new head teachers start and their take on this. But I think they've mostly focused on exam results and school ethos.

9. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

This is very true. And knowing me after a few weeks I'll be absolutely fine. It's just this first week or 2 and ensuring I don't give off the wrong impression. (First impressions and all that)!

10. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Easter. Spring. Start of trinity term. Start of new job. On the tee: a "new beginnings" assembly!

11. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Following on from this... Is it too late in the year to make a new beginning? What will you do this term? How many tries does it take to be successful? WD40 comes to mind. There must be some great YouTube videos about people who have made new beginnings.