1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter School - What works?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon792, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Our school is about to run an easter school for Y6 children for the first time. I would love to know your experience of what works and doesn't, timetable for the day ect. Any advice/ideas from those with experience would be great.
    Thanks

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Really not trying to be rude but I would say not doing one would work best. If it is for SATs reasons that is.

If for something else then I would go with film/magazine making type activities.

3. Yeah it is for SAT reasons. Not my idea. Just not sure what to do to have the greatest effect.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

hope you're getting paid handsomely for this

5. Nope!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've run several 2 day easter schools. Generally half day maths and half day english on each day.

One half day on lots of short topics that address their weaknesses. The other half day on past sats questions and papers.

Parents have always been very supportive and children love that extra help. They don't mind the work as they know it is to help them get a good mark and they really want to do so.

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've asked my class what they would like to cover. Am planning 9-10.15 english, then a short break, then maths until 12 as that's our really weak area. Then the children are going home! Planning on making it as fun as possible, lots of quick recall games etc

8. Milgod

Can I ask how much you will be getting paid to do this in your holidays?

I hope it goes well for you. I can't think of anything worse for my class. They need to have a break and deserve one as well. I need one too and can't wait to wear my PJs for most of the day.
    I have also told my class and their parents that SATs don't matter anyway. Just do the best you can on the day. Nothing to get stressed about.

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Gosh, is that your school policy?

10. Milgod

Not exactly. I had parents evening yesterday and I told those attending that SATs are only for the schools/league tables and that the results don't matter for the children. I'm not sure what it's like in other areas but the schools that our Y6 go to end up re-testing them in September anyway and don't seem to pay any attention to the SATs scores. The children know that they need to try in everything they do anyway so I know they won't let me down. They will be slightly less stressed though. I still make sure they are ready for the tests but without trying to do too much. Is it perfect? I doubt it but it worked well last year.
    I do add a bit of fun competition though. We try and beat the Y6 class next door. I can't help myself, I like to win.

11. I think a recent statistic quoted 95% of secondary schools do this. My kids' certainly does.

12. At my secondary school KS2 SAT results determine targets which are used as a measure of success or otherwise each half term until they leave. Trying to get those targets changed has proved very difficult even though we also do CATS.

13. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Agree with the last post.
    Secondary schools are judged on % making x levels progress exactly the same as we are in primary. A child who is a 4 is expected to achieve certain GCSE outcomes which are higher than the child who gets a 3.
    If you are a child scoring borderline 3/4 at Y6, then which side of the level threshold you fall determines what your secondary school is required to target you in your GCSEs. If two children get 45 (L3) and 46 (L4) marks in end of key stage maths tests, and then perform below expectation in Y7,8,9 ... then the 46 child may well receive much more support than the 45.
    It isn't right, but it is what happens.

14. Milgod

Does Y6 TA not come into it?

15. At our Easter school we are doing Liteacy in the morning and then fun stuff in afternoon, eg: bowling, film, drumming, baking. Supposed to do Lit and Num in morning but our kids don't need Num, only Lit.
    It's only 4 days out of Easter hols so I don't mind doing it. It will be good experience too as I don't have year 6 class. I'm looking forward to it. Have a training day for it coming up too.

16. My family are very tolerant of the time I spend working for the school during term time and in return I leave my holidays free to do things with them and by the time I have fitted in all the things that need to be done with a family - 2 weeks is just about enough time.
    The residential was not my decision and was booked two years ago when it was suggested sats would be in June. It certainly is not my prefered way of working up to SATs but I'm just doing the best I can with it but I still won't be doing Easter schools.

17. Am running a 3 days Easter school...never done it before but the way the holidays fall and then all those extra days means I want to keep their brains ticking over for longer!
    I am being paid for it - as I presumed everyone would be! Quite happy to do it as the extra cash pays for the next week that I am spending in Cornwall. PerfecT!

18. Yes, I am being paid for it and am very much looking forward to it. Will only have 12 children at the most and we will have lots of fun at the same time. Will keep my brain ticking over too. And the kids will love going to granny's house on their own!

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

All twelve of mine have volunteered to come too, even my SEN boy who is disapplied. It might be the coffee and cakes they've been promised (or just my magnetic personality) but they can't wait!

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours who came last year got a tea party with the HT in his office during the first week back as their reward. Proper cake forks and cups and saucers, the lot.

They loved it!