1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter revision for A1 Core 2?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nuts88, Mar 27, 2012.

1. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

This is the first year I've taught this and am currently teaching chapter 7 out of 11 of the scheme. What would you give the students for work over the Easter hols? Would you give them selected questions from past papers, or a variety of questions from the text, or something else??

Any advice would be great, many thanks in advance.

2. You give them (your students) what they (your students) need.
    Nobody knows where your pupils are, nobody knows how much they have grapsed, what chapter 7 means or when the exam is.
    Perhaps sit with them and establish (1) What you need to cover given the time left before the exam and (2) What they need to be to hit their targets.
    What one teacher gives one cohort is different to the next.
    I am giving mine 15 past/prac papers as we have done and they are up for doing 1-1.5 hours a day.
    This for my group last year would have not been right.

3. Personally, I only like to give Past Papers when the course is complete.

When working through the book I tend to suggest that they only do odd questions; this leaves the even questions for practice at times like this.

I would be worried about having 4 full chapters to still complete after Easter; are there any sections they could work through independently.

4. I am a bit worried because I still have half of the last chapter (trig identities and equations) to go!! If I had 4 chapters to go I would be very worried!! But hopefully the OP has more contact time than I do and maybe a later study leave date and quite likely also a shorter easter holiday.
    How about some stuff from CIMT?
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/alevel/alevel.htm

5. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I appreciate all of your comments and advice. The SOW given by Edexcel permits us to have 5 lessons at the end of C2 in which to do revision etc and I am currently only one lesson behind the SOW. I would love to know how you only have half a chapter left with over 1 month to go, perhaps I need to ignore the SOW in future and reduce the amount of time during lesson for them to complete exercises and increase the amount taught per lesson?

I've decided to combine several past papers with a selection of questions from the exercises in the text. Obviously Jeff, these will be targeted at the students individual weaknesses.

Again, thanks for your comments.

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

5 lesson is nowhere near enough for revision. next time i would definitely suggest you go at a faster pace and get them to do more at home. I aim to finish by Easter (always have done with any exam course) but I do admittedly have about half a chapter left to cover due to Early Easter.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree. I think they do need plenty of revision time after the whole course has been covered. They can pick up anything they found difficult during that.

8. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

A big learning curve for me.
    Thanks for the advice and I just pray that my students can perform, in spite of my clear inexperience.