1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter Revision Classes: 5 pound a pop.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, Apr 7, 2019.

1. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Well done Dyce.
    https://www.scotsman.com/regions/ab...s-plan-to-charge-for-exams-revision-1-4903335
    Surely after being totally CfEd the current pupils should be able to do there own revision?
    I hope the staff are getting paid and it was entirely voluntary.
    But should the teachers not have taught them in class? Should the pupils not have been working harder in class?
    Giving these revision sessions in the holidays gives the lazy pupil an out, I will do the work at the revision session.
    The weakest pupil in my Higher class asked for after school classes. I told him no, but if he took in work he had done at home and was struggling with I would help with that. I am still waiting for the first piece. He has also missed a week with a skiing trip. He has been moved for chatting.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  2. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I despair that nowadays many pupils take little or no responsibility for their own learning.

Lunchtime and after school study sessions. Easter schools. Saturday study sessions.

I sound like an old fogey but back in the day we taught kids and they then sat their exams. If they passed or failed then, within reason, it was down to their effort, ability and application.

Now we have to write up reports on exam results. I take great joy in itemising the myriad reasons various kids fail their exams.

A favourite of mine is to count the number of periods missed due to illness, trips, term time holidays, meetings in school.

A couple of years ago I had a Nat 5 class where the average absence was around 6 WEEKS!

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

GuessWho, you have to write up reports on exam results?

4. aypi

I write up reports on results too.

5. bigjimmy2

Pupils, generally, don't take any responsibility for their own learning. The pupils who do succeed tend to be those that don't even need taught (slight exaggeration, maybe), they will learn what they need to learn for themselves from a book or with minimal teacher input.

In my school reports I always mention attendance if it's below 90%. Most people think 90% at anything is brilliant until you point out that 90% attendance means an average of a morning or afternoon off each week and that if your attendance at work was less than 90% then you would be disciplined.

I mention homeworks too. 10 homeworks issued but only 8 done. Again, 8/10 ain't bad until you point out that their average mark was 20%, so should you really be doing Higher/N5?

I also mention behaviour and phones. If pupils are on their phones all the time - and many of them are - then they might as well no be there, cos if you're on your phone then you're not learning and the only point of being at school is to learn, so you may as well go home and vegetate there.

Increasingly I'm telling my classes that I can't pass an exam for anyone and what they get in their own exams is due to their own effort and has nothing to do with me.

Interesting to see that the SNP is being accused of elitism in The Scotsman article, and the council is not run by them.

Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

6. bigjimmy2

Why? Are you FHs?

7. GuessWho

In our school each member of staff is expected to reflect on how their pupils performed and what can be done to improve future results.

Every year I write that improved attendance and attitude by pupils would go a long way to improve grades.

Marisha likes this.
  8. beharder

beharder Occasional commenter

Would agree with BJ here reports on exam results are for FHs
    My results are put on spreadsheet and left to the experts to analyse and pontificate what the teacher could have done better, always the teachers fault, not the cuts,not the vanishing ASN teachers, not managerial incompetence,.not the laissez faire approach to discipline and certainly not the fault of a pupil.

9. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I had to do that as a middle manager. For every single kid in every single subject in my faculty (but only for Nat 5, Higher and Adv H latterly):

How many kids got better than the grade predicted by Midys/Sosca tests?

How many did worse?

For each level and subject...How many kids got their best result?

How many got their worst result?

Any factors which you think had an impact?

----------------------------------------------------

Some middle managers in other faculties conned their staff into doing it. I always advised staff what I was told by the SSTA - not their job to do all that excrement.

Yes, I did liaise with staff so that they could remind me of any particular problems with pupils, but that was it. Not their job to trawl through all the stats and write up the reports.

10. aypi

I am FH, but you should be aware of what is being said BJ, mine know.

11. GuessWho

To clarify my previous post.
    The FH does the main write-up.
    The department is asked for their input and any comments they think are valid to "explain" the results achieved.

Marisha likes this.
  12. AyeRight

AyeRight New commenter

Colleagues,

These after action reports....surely we could just copy al our rigorous monitoring and tracking exercises and parental reports from the previous year...or were these a waste of time?