1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

easter pay query

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I resigned my current job to leave on 30th April as I didn't have another job to go to.
    I now do have a job to start on 26th April.
    What do I do as regards pay and leaving date from my current school? They have not mentioned anything about going back in for the three days at the begininng of next term (even before I was offered the new job). Also the new job is via an agency - does this make a difference?
    Thanks.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly, do check that your current school do not require you to work until the end of April - they have the right to, though given how easter moves schools generally accept that as a leaving date. Depending on your schools nature will also depend whether they chose to pay you up until the 26th, or the 30th... though the 30th might be ambitious if starting a new paid post elsewhere. The only difference agency work will make is to your continuous employment - agency work will not count towards that.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It shouldn't be an issue, but as stated your current head has the right to request you to remain in post after the easter break for the last few days of the month. Ask!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That's the protocol when moving from one LA post to another.
    As the OP is not taking up LA employment after Easter, it's irrelevant that the new job is still teaching.
    Check with your current school if they require you to return for the 26th, 27th and 28th April. If they do not require you return for those 3 days, you won't need to mention the new job or its start date. If they ask what you're doing next simply say that you're pursuing agency work.
    If they require you to return for those 3 days, you will need to inform them about the new job and seek agreement for an earlier leaving date (25th April).