1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter pay and leaving without a job to go to.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by skellig1182, Mar 3, 2011.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

If you are leaving at Easter and not taking on another job, when would you be paid till? I thought it would be the last day of the hols however it might be the 30th, not sure!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Depends what date you specified in your resignation letter.

3. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

30th, however there were words about it being the 8th, the day before the holidays. I'm a little puzzled by it because im on a perm contract and should be paid for the holidays. It may be that I work till the 30th, not sure yet. I was just wondering if you would get paid till the 30th even if you didnt work between the 26th -30th april.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think the usual reckoning is thatyou need to resign by the end of February to leave at the end of April, except that if you are going to another school, the switchover is when term starts in the new school. If you are leaving teaching, I think a resignation in February entitles you to leave at the end of April. Now, in practice, it may well suit everyone to agree an earlier date, so that a new teacher can start at the beginning of term, but I don't think they can force that on you.
    Your best bet is probably to resign "with effect from 30th April", and maybe add something about being willing to make this 25th April if that suits better.
    If they pay you until 30th April then you would need to work until then, ie including 26th-30th.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They might take on your replacement from the beginning of the summer term and use you as a floating supply teacher for the other days. Bear in mind that the 29th April is not a school day because of the Royal wedding!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They normally don't want you back after Easter, even though they are paying you, as your imminent departure and enormous smile is upsetting for everyone else . . .
    Go for leaving 30 April. That just leaves a couple of days when they will not normally insist on you coming in.
    And if they do - just go around with a great big smile.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!