1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter or summer to leave and career change?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by handsolo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Hi Theo and all

I'm looking to leave, which I've discussed in previous thread recently.

I am not happy and want to move on and ideally want to leave at Easter - I feel like that now my mind is elsewhere the rewards of teaching are falling away and I also feel like something of a fraud... you have to be committed in this job and my heart is not in it, it could be affecting the students at the end of the day.

As such, I really want to leave at Easter - notice in for the last day of this HT... HOWEVER, it seems the sensible thing to do is stick it out until the summer - as you noted in my previous thread Theo, double pay over the summer, if immediate work sorted straight after the last day of term...

I have three year experience in office management work in the charity sector and want to return to that, since I want to develop it with environmental buildings consultancy work - something I have long been passionate about.

My main question then is: What are the potential pitfalls of leaving at Easter? Subsidiary question!: How can I go about seeking a job external to the school, when I'm still teaching - if I get an interview for another job, does it work like when I have gone for a job at another school and they grant you a day off!?

Many thanks

H

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there. Welcome back to the forum, although I am sorry that you do want to leave teaching.

Q1 You might be required to go back to school to work first bit of summer term, thus making it hard to start work elsewhere earlier.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Q2 Yes and No. Yes, because the school doesn't have to give you a day off for going to an external interview, nor even an interview at another school. There is no right to a day off, paid or unpaid, to go to any interview, so in that sense, both are the same!

This is why I always say that you do NOT go and tell your Head that you have an interview at another school, you go and ask nicely. ;)

But generally Heads do allow time off for interviews for other schools, and paid time off too. But you may well not be so lucky for another job. If it's not too far away, you could try asking for an after-school time. If not, you will need to ask VERY nicely, including in the end offering to go unpaid.

Best wishes

3. puffleMag

puffleMag New commenter

Hello,
    I left the profession several years ago, and I decided to go at Easter as well, having faced a similar dilemma. My reasons were that I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't be expected to work some days over the summer if I did stay, that it can be a difficult time in other sectors to seek work (I found early in the new year was when jobs were advertised, and I had to go for them: naturally they wouldn't have accepted a July start date!), and, most importantly. I just couldn't face another term. On the one hand, I did feel bad about leaving my students at this point, but my exam classes were largely done, and I was at a point where I was so miserable I thought I might be doing more harm than good! When I handed in my notice I didn't have another job confirmed and was prepared to do supply for a bit, but four hours after I handed in my resignation I was contacted by people I had had an interview with a month earlier and offered a position. I had agonised over the half term, but had come to the conclusion that this was damaging my health and that I would rather do any job other than the one I was doing, and so I had to go.
    I've done a variety of other jobs since I left but have stayed in the education sector and had a successful career. I don't know that I work less hard now: the hours are long, and the holidays are shorter, but what I do have now is a proper work/life balance: I work at work, and then I go home and, in general, I don't think about it anymore. I'm also no longer routinely bullied, asked to make ethical compromises, or bogged down in pointless bureaucracy.
    This is obviously a personal journey, and I wish you well on yours! I have nothing but respect for those who can stick it out, but leaving, and leaving as soon as possible, was the right thing for me.
    Georgie

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm glad to hear that things worked out for you in the end, @puffleMag .

Best wishes for continuing happiness in your new role

5. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Hi there PuffleMag

Thanks for the lengthy reply, appreciated. This is exactly the kind of story I need to hear. I suspect also that more jobs are available around April than the summer, given this is the start of the financial year. I would be ready to do supply also and have been an English teacher for two years, so this would stand me in good stead in this sense, no?

I know what you mean about working hard outside of teaching. I did the same before I arrived here and know exactly what you mean about the lack of bullying and lack of effective management - quite simply, if management in the charity sector bullied or made poor decisions like they do in the teaching sector then most people would leave (to be fair, this is happening at my school more and more).

I shall mull it over more. I'm on the verge of speaking to my boss about things - he is very understanding, just not that supportive in terms of experience (he has very little). However I think this might be the next step, before I have to actually say something in a few weeks time.

Thanks again

H

6. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Thanks Theo

If I decide to resign at Easter, I will bear your Q1 answer in mind and go and speak to the head very honestly.

All the best

H

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope it all goes well for you, and you can find peace and happiness

Best wishes

8. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Hey Theo. Just read this link - if my school breaks up earlier than April, how does that work with being paid? This is key of course, since I will need to discuss in relation to when I would leave with the head in the next few weeks.....

Thanks

H

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

April 30 is last day of employment. So you get paid until then.

And work until then.

;)

Best wishes

10. handsolo

handsolo New commenter

Really, so I would need to return after the Easter hols most likely, since Easter is so early this year?

Thanks again

H

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes if your Head insists. And you want to get paid!

Best wishes

12. hannahrachaelgreen

hannahrachaelgreen New commenter

Hi, I am also leaving at Easter, I've been a teacher for 2 and a half years and me and several of my friends are now leaving due to all the usual reasons. I've started applying to PA roles in the city and I'm so anxious in my current role but it seems quite difficult to find even administration work and now I feel really anxious about finding a job too! I initially wanted to go into the third sector but found it was too competitive am I wrong about this?

I feel like I need some guidance or advice, I've read books on career changing, I think I'm doing all the right stuff but I would just like some assurance that it's possible!