1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter nitpick

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Is it just me - or does anyone else find themselves annoyed by both the Radio Times and BBC who insist on calling Easter Sunday "Easter Day"?

It's Easter SUNDAY! I'm not even Christian and it annoys me intensely.

2. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

It is unacceptable to diminish the importance of a particular day which has great religious significance for many.

I find it just as annoying when Happy Holidays is used instead of Merry Christmas.

Maybe it's time Christians became an more assertive and reclaimed the days which are particularly significant for them? Sometimes it seems as if they feel almost apologetic for existing.

install, Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I am a Christian and it gets on my nerves But people who say 'Christmas lunch' also get hugely on my wick, when we all know it should be Chrismas dinner.

4. Middlemarch

Yes! "Christmas lunch" is so wrong on many levels and not just because I'm a Northerner.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Unless of course you have both (I do )

install likes this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The BBC weather forecast referred to Easter Monday as Easter Day yesterday which is downright confusing!
    PS Christmas 'Lunch' is totally wrong, for me 'lunch' implies a light meal, not the feast you expect!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I was greeted with a cheery "Happy Easter" in Sainsbury's today which seemed odd, particularly considering the place of today in Holy Week.

8. Middlemarch

I've heard "Happy Easter" all over the place since yesterday. Even though I'm not a Christian, I found it a tad bizarre and somewhat distasteful.

lindenlea likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i will wish my family "Happy Easter" when they get their Lindt bunnies tomorrow but I think it's allowed on easter Sunday. I'm not a Christian.

install likes this.
  10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Looking through the TV pages of the Times' Weekend section earlier I was not impressed to note that Easter Sunday is "Easter Day" and Easter Monday is just plain "Monday".

When / why did this change of designation come about?

:mad:

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Even in America, we call it Christmas dinner!

And tomorrow is Easter Sunday.....!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Happy Easter doesn't bother me since it anticipates the day.

The text I received from O2 yesterday did annoy me, though. It began "Turn Good Friday into Mega Friday..."

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I think it's part of a conspiracy to make Easter as big a festival as Christmas. (Or land-fill-mas)

I've never seen so many Easter ''themed'' adverts on telly as recently.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The usual suspects must be having a day off
    I was sure that one of them would have claimed that the change was down to to the PC brigade because they were scared of offending other religions.

They are becoming worryingly inconsistent :D

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  15. inky

inky Lead commenter

It is bigger than Christmas, as far as the church is concerned.

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Maybe they're just thankful that the word 'Easter' hasn't been dropped entirely in case it offends non-Christians. :rolleyes:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/26/peopl...nt-have-the-word-easter-on-the-front-5777378/

cissy3 likes this.
  17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes I know. But I think 'commerce' is trying to make it 'as big' in terms of flogging unwanted **** to people.

18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Of course!! Without the Resurrection on Easter Sunday, we wouldn't have Christmas. :D

cuteinpuce likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We should have a Green Man at Easter to balance out Santa.

racroesus, cissy3 and sabrinakat like this.
  20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Now, I am confused....