1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter lesson issue

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ealdor, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am teaching some lessons about Easter in France and Spain (Years 7 - 9) but have a question: What to prepare for students who do not want to work on French and Spanish Easter traditions? I am thinking specifically about Muslim and Jehovah's Witness students in particular.
    It seems to me I have two main options.
    (1) Teach them the topic anyway (valuable cultural insight, it's not all about the language).
    (2) Get them to do extra work on the current language topic (which somehow doesn't seem fair when the rest of the class get a lesson "off" that).
    Just wondering what anyone else would do usually? Any other suggestions to the above two ideas I already have?
    Responses much appreciated in advance! Thanks.

2. Hi all,
    I am teaching some lessons about Easter in France and Spain (Years 7 - 9) but have a question: What to prepare for students who do not want to work on French and Spanish Easter traditions? I am thinking specifically about Muslim and Jehovah's Witness students in particular.
    It seems to me I have two main options.
    (1) Teach them the topic anyway (valuable cultural insight, it's not all about the language).
    (2) Get them to do extra work on the current language topic (which somehow doesn't seem fair when the rest of the class get a lesson "off" that).
    Just wondering what anyone else would do usually? Any other suggestions to the above two ideas I already have?
    Responses much appreciated in advance! Thanks.

3. You are teaching about a cultural aspect relevant to a language they are studying. Surely it has nothing to do with the beliefs of your students.
    I happen to be passionately against bullfighting just as I am against foxhunting. However I was not offended by references to taurine culture when I was studying Spanish. I am informed but choose not to ever go to a bullfight.
    Surely a muslim student learning about Easter in Spain is informed, enlightened about an important element of Spanish culture. They are in no way forced to participate any more than I have ever been to a bullfight.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I agree - if you are doing cultural, it is part of the ICU strand and needs to be done by all.
    If, however, you are getting them to make Easter cards, you would be hard pushed to persuade me that it was a valuable exercise!

5. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I personally have never had any issue with my pupils regarding religious festivals. Most of them are Muslim and the last lesson of term is usually about Xmas and Easter. They are happy to learn how children/teenagers their age celebrate.