1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter hols, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Never before have I been so eager for the school holidays. But,wait! let's turn this eagerness into positivity.

What are you planning to do over Easter? Wake up and turn the alarm clock off and snuggle back to sleep,with smug defiance-no school today.

Wake up, mosey around the house in your onesie or nightwear of choice?

Go for long, dreamy walks, or jog or cycle, horse back riding if you wish?

Watch endless back to back episodes of your favourite TV series or watch something that you would not normally watch...break the mould.

Smile sweetly at your adult children who say, mum or dad, you are on holiday next week so can you.....whoooosh(the sound of you disappearing in the opposite direction)

Soak in an everlasting bath?
    Go on holiday?
    Bake that cake that you keep saying that you are going to bake?
    Start cutting back the overgrown garden that you have been pleading with not to keep growing over the last couple of weeks?

Come on in and share
    What are you doing
    for the Easter hols this yeare

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I agree: I am looking forwards to the holidays possibly more than I used to as I am increasingly focused on retirement in 2 years and am growing impatient about getting there!

I am going to enjoy a short break by Loch Lomand and later in the holidays we have tickets for An American In Paris which has just opened, and I am very excited about both prospects!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As mine have started today and I have a horrible cold, great start!

I have a few day courses books via adult education (The joy of having very different holidays to the LA in which you live!) and other providers. Nothing at all to do with teaching, obviously!

Then I have a whole heap of housework to catch up on.

Then clothes to sort through, take to the charity shop and then replace with smaller ones. :)

And yes, ideally, some bike riding and walking to get a bit fitter and all that.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'll do a bit of work to get a few things up to date.

A couple of day trips planned and a visit to my parents. My Daughter will be back from University (an increasingly rare occurrence) and some cycling and a bit of diy too.

Nothing special really - just enjoy the break.

nomad likes this.
  5. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why would you have your alarm on during a holiday?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What do you expect? I'm a teacher.
    So I'm going to clean the house for the first time since Christmas, restock the freezer, repaint half the front door and then develop flu until the last day before we return, when I will mark five sets of books which have started to buckle from self compression in my car boot.

palmtree100 and sabrinakat like this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Thought I might go crazy and clean the grouting in the shower...Have a big blow-out, you know?

Jesmond12 likes this.
  10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Fly to the US. Drive from Denver to Las Vegas. Visit some National Parks and eat out in lots of diners. Then come home to spend a few days moderating A Level coursework.

peakster likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Entertain my niece who is visiting from Canada.

HelenREMfan and peakster like this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Start packing ready to move house.

HelenREMfan and peakster like this.
  14. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Sleep, relax. and smile!

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Catch up with boring chores which never get done in term time ... but I always feel that if you do half of your 'to do' list in the holidays, then that's ok!
    Catch up with friends I don't see often enough ... couple of days in school, to hopefully make me less stressed about next term ...
    And a citybreak with daughter to celebrate her milestone birthday this month.

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Alas my 2 weeks is getting near filled up with medical appointments :( First Monday have to have a heart monitor fitted for 24 hours, then Tuesday return it, Wed sees a heart scan (are they trying to tell me something ?) + have to go for blood taking at GP. The following Wed is a treatment/medicine review and Aintree hop want me to make an appointment about my thyroid blood test I had quite a while ago (before the TIA) I could easily guess at my thyroxine levels being low because I have been feeling cold and tbh I thought when they dropped my dosage to 125 mcg it was too low a dose. The doctor generated blood test should establish that so I don't really feel like traipsing to Liverpool but Liverpool did do a series of blood tests so of course it showed up. Couple all this with the very strong possibility the vascular surgeon who I see on Tuesday might not give the ok for me to drive (at the time of the TIA he said 3 months) but I am praying for him to allow me back after the regular month of not driving. TBH after the spine whiplash braking of my daughter's driving on Thursday I don't think I can cope much more with other people's driving (doesn't that make me sound like a right ungrateful botch?)

17. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have lunch booked in with a colleague. also am having a grommet fitted in left ear during the first week. apart from that, i'm quite free. hurrah!
    some planning to do as usual but very quiet otherwise. hopefully. will be my first days off on my own since august. i did have one day at christmas but was working so it doesn't count.

18. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

Two more weeks to go for me, and it cannot come soon enough! I have never struggled through a term so much, feeling like I'm going to drown under the workload and pressure- oh the joys of special measures! I am going away with my mum (retired head/teacher) for three nights when we break up, then a over-night trip to pick my stepson up from France in the first week. The second week I will have to go into school for two days to be set up and sorted ready. Other than that, I'm going to walk in fields, eat well and sleep. (The house todo list can wait until summer! I need a break and a rest!)

HelenREMfan and (deleted member) like this.
  19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I'm not in teaching anymore, so my Easter hol is starting next Saturday. I am going to the Lake District for the week and can't wait. We used to go every Easter, but this is the first time in 4 years. I am so so ready for it. I've got lots of new walks planned and this time as we haven't got my teenager with us, lots of sampling the ales on an evening. As soon as I see mountains, I can feel the stress leaving my body.:)

HelenREMfan likes this.
  20. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Wow, what a mixture of health, cleaning and stress busting activities.
    It is amazing what we pack into our holidays. Ultimately, a change is as good as a rest they say.
    We will all be healthier, or have equipment that makes us heealthier, fresher faced from walkin in the Lake District - I love the lakes, better travelled. Do go to the Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas...amazing! Homes will be cleaner, lunches will be eaten.

Keep the posts coming, it is proving to be very cathartic:):D