1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easter Chocolate and Toddlers!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by wormburger, Apr 6, 2012.

1. This may sound odd, but I was just wondering how everyone else was dealing with the large amount of chocolate people seem to be trying to give my 19 month old toddler at the moment?
    I'm not a purist but I do try to feed my LO predominantly homemade food with lots of vegetables in and for pudding she normally had fruit, yoghurt or sometimes a teacake. She will happily eat most things so I am very lucky.
    This morning, my MIL tried to give her a chocolate bunny at about 10am. I let LO have a bit then took it away from her. She has no real concept of what chocolate is and i don't really want her to see it as a forbidden foodstuff, but equally I don't want her eating it everyday. About half an hour later, I was peeling veg for lunch and gave LO some raw broccoli and carrot, just as an experiment. She ate it! MIL stood there pulling faces saying really helpful things like 'I bet she's prefer some chocolate' 'that doesn't tast nice does it dear' etc. I said quite clearly I'd rather she ate vegetables than chocolate!
    I'm planning on eating most of the eggs people have given her myself I think! Is this mean? How should I play it when grandparents/aunties/uncles try and foist chocolate on her?
    Any advice welcome x

2. This may sound odd, but I was just wondering how everyone else was dealing with the large amount of chocolate people seem to be trying to give my 19 month old toddler at the moment?
    I'm not a purist but I do try to feed my LO predominantly homemade food with lots of vegetables in and for pudding she normally had fruit, yoghurt or sometimes a teacake. She will happily eat most things so I am very lucky.
    This morning, my MIL tried to give her a chocolate bunny at about 10am. I let LO have a bit then took it away from her. She has no real concept of what chocolate is and i don't really want her to see it as a forbidden foodstuff, but equally I don't want her eating it everyday. About half an hour later, I was peeling veg for lunch and gave LO some raw broccoli and carrot, just as an experiment. She ate it! MIL stood there pulling faces saying really helpful things like 'I bet she's prefer some chocolate' 'that doesn't tast nice does it dear' etc. I said quite clearly I'd rather she ate vegetables than chocolate!
    I'm planning on eating most of the eggs people have given her myself I think! Is this mean? How should I play it when grandparents/aunties/uncles try and foist chocolate on her?
    Any advice welcome x

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Put it in the treat box in a cupboard, and give it out as a treat when you see fit.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Not mean at all. I don't like my children eating chocolate, and luckily my family know that and don't buy it. My son is nearly 3 and won't eat chocolate anyway, he doesn't like it (i wonder how i gave birth to a child who doesn't like chocolate?!) and I wouldn't give chocolate to my nearly 11 month old.
    I'm not perfect by any means, but do try to give them all homemade food. My son does like snack-a-jacks though so I let him have those, and mini cheddars sometimes. He doesn't really eat that much anyway. My daughter is brilliant at eating and will eat anything you give her, so she gets cut up cheese, cucumber, pear, kiwi etc for snacks. She's never had a jar/pouch.
    I think when they're this little they have no idea what chocolate and sweets are so there's no point giving them any. It's not like they're aware they're missing out on something. I'm sure if they were 5 and weren't allowed Easter eggs and all their friends had them they'd probably say something then!

5. Well hands up, I gave Sasha some (read too much ... Err... Half a big egg (16 months)) and predictably she went hyper and kept pointing at the egg box on the shelf for two days after having a mini meltdown wanting it. Scary how quickly that happens so I guess I've learned my lesson!

6. My little man does have a sweet tooth - like you he has homemade meals, yoghurt or fruit for dessert. Its the inlaws that cause me problems too. I don't mind if he has had his proper meals. but does bug me when they just presume. So far LO has had 7 eggs - no way is he going to have all of that - Treat cupboard - which will probably last all year! well unless OH gets to them first
    x

7. 7 eggs!? My 3 year old had a meltdown at lunchtime because I wouldnt let her eat a whole one in one go. She at least only has 2, 1 from each set of grandparents! How on earth do you end up with 7?

8. Personally, I think children need to understand that foods such as chocolate eaten as occasional treats and avoiding giving children these treats is counter productive.
    If you reallt don't want your LO to eat the gifts she has been give, why not use them in a baking session to make some chocolate crispie cakes and gift them back to the grandparents/aunts/godparents who wanted to buy your daughter a gift?

9. Well dd2 is 2 and had an entire egg on Easter Sunday. Half of that was before 8am [​IMG] In my defence I'm having a VERY bad weekend and not dealing with things as I normally would.
    She has 3 other eggs which are in the cupboard and will be rationed out, maybe half an egg once or twice a week. Although she may not get to eat all of them as dp has already eaten one, and I had one too.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Wow, is my 2 year old really odd then? He won't even try chocolate! So no-one has bought him an egg. Good thing really or i'd have been forced to eat it! My 10.5 month old daughter eats anything, but luckily she hasn't been given an egg either.
    I agree that a little bit of something 'bad' is probably better than totally denying it, but at 10.5 months I don't think chocolate is necessary.

11. My LO (16 months) has had half of her egg throughout yesterday and today- it's a little cadburys one which came with a Freddo toy, and to be honest, she likes him more! She still has 4 more to eat, so Daddy and I will be helping! I am not fussed about giving it to her at all, but as we are having tantrums, fussiness and food throwing at the moment I am sticking to routine meal times- 7.30, 12.00 and 5.00 with snacks at 10ish and 3ish so I know she is hungry for her meals. Otherwise she would live on Cheerios and raisins and toast and frequently does! So she has only had chocolate after her meals!