1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easing period pains

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Dec 24, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry men of the forum but this is definitely one for the women of this forum!

I seem to suffer from awful period pains for the first day or so of my period, the build up is pretty bad too, i'm all achey for days, incredibly tired and I seem to cry a lot around my period too! I can cope with the signs of it coming... but the pain sometimes can be really terrible. I went to a doctor who wanted to put me on the contraceptive pill which I have decided not to go on, because i was on it a few years ago and found it gave me terrible mood swings.

I guess i'm looking for suggestions on ways to ease it. I usually try to premeditate it with pain killers and a hot water bottle, and I tried evening primrose for a while... but just looking for any other ways to help to ease it a bit that people have found successful?

2. Painkillers such as ibuprofen are good, as well as something that has a wee bit of a muscle relaxant in it. I usually take some Syndol 4 - 6 hrly and nurofen in between 6 hrly. I use a hot water bottle too.
    Exercise is apparently really good, if you can tolerate it.

3. I had Endometriosis for some years and was prescribed Mefenamic acid (Ponstan). It was the only thing that would shift the pain but it made me feel a little 'spaced out'.

I also used over the counter painkillers and good old hot water bottle. I did try to practise some 'relaxation techniques' that I read about. These worked very well if I could manage to get past the pain. I had to focus on relaxing the muscles in the tummy area as they go into spasm when you are cramping.

I found Yoga helpful both during and in between my periods particularly pelvic rocking. To do this get on the floor on your hands and knees. Your arms should be fully extended and straight. Make sure your back is straight and parallel to the floor, with your stomach pulled up. Slowly relax your lower back, and allow your pelvis to tilt forward comfortably. Hold this position for a few seconds, then move back to the original, less relaxed position. Repeat cycle slowly, using only the lower part of the body.

Have you been checked out for any underlying conditions behind your period pain. It sounds as though your hormones are a little bit all over the place. I wonder if there is another alternative to the contraceptive pill, perhaps another brand of pill might be better for you.

Hope you feel a bit better soon - I know how horrible period pain is. Mine was eventually sorted out with a hysterectomy - the best thing I ever did.

Excuse my lack of paragraphs in adveance. Just downloaded Google Chrome and it seems not to like paragraphs!

4. hate to say it but i heard an orgasm helps?!!!

5. bed

bed New commenter

Ab-so-blummin-lutely!!
    Works a treat!
    Good excuse as well.....

6. Curling up with a hot water bottle/wheat bag.
    Feminax. Wonder drug.
    Carbs. Galore.
    And oddly enough, I find that wearing those stomach cincing tights helps. Medium support though, not crazy spanx.

7. Depo provera!
    Little visit to the nurse every 11 weeks and no more period pain - no more hormonal mood swings - no more evil voices in the back of your brain..... bliss!

8. I find putting lavender on my pillow during the days before i;m due on helps me sleep so therefore the cramping is less! Also makes my hair smell of it :D. I also have lots of warm baths, and snugglies with the cats. Failing that painkillers and chocolate. Good Luck, period pain is horrible.