1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easiest way to send speaking assessments?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by tweetypie2, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I have recorded my assessments using the Audacity software - very impressed with myself as I'm a bit of a technophobe! However I'm not sure what to do next. Is it easy to transfer theses files to a CD or memory stick?

2. dalej

dalej New commenter

3. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

What does "export" mean in this context?
    With all my heart I wish technology people wouldn't confuse things with their ludicrous choice of words. I've resented this from the first time I was told to "boot" a computer. "What does that mean?" I asked, and had to ask again and again and again. (eg Try defragging it - Send it as a j-peg, etc etc )
    What is a "client" in computer-speak? I see that term over and over again but don't understand it. Or "domain" ?
    If we could turn the clock bag we could do it all so much more transparently with sensible word-usage.
    When the motor-car was invented it had parts called "steering wheel", "brakes", "accelerator", "windscreen", "indicators" etc. All so easy to understand.
    By comparison the computer experts chose to exclude people with their jargon.

4. ljf1aber

ljf1aber New commenter

We used to use Audacity in my school until we found something much easier....the digital dictaphone.
    Cost approx £30, smaller than a tv remote. Put on the desk and press record. Once you've done your orals, plug it into the USB and download the files, which are already in mp3 format. Takes seconds and even the most technologically-challenged in the department can do it! [​IMG]
    Sound quality is excellent and the kids are very relaxed when doing their oral exams - many of them do not even realise that it is being recorded. The dictaphones are also great for use in class.
    I won't put the make and model of the ones we use on the forum, as the threa will more than likely get pulled. PM me of you want to know more.

5. I also used my wee mp3 recorder (looks like a fat memory stick & plugs directly into computer when needed). Definitely £30 well spend. I found the sound quality actually better than with pc/audacity and mic.

6. dalej

dalej New commenter

It depends on whatever you are comfortable with, I guess. Some people prefer using Audacity with a microphone and others like to use a digital voice recorder. If you can afford it, I'd go for a DVR for every member of the department, but at the end of the day, it's down to personal choice.

7. maa09

maa09 New commenter

We used digital dictaphones - very easy!! Then we saved the sample onto memory stick to send to the board, this was much quicker than burning CDs. Hopefully we will get them back though as they are much more expensive.