1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easiest Way to Explain Procedural, Event Driven & OOP Programming?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Berkshire_ICT, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Has anyone explained Procedural, event driven and Object Orientated programming in
    an exciting way?
    The kids need to know what it is, applications for and limitiations of it. I have also asked for examples of languages.
    Thanks
    Gilly

2. Has anyone explained Procedural, event driven and Object Orientated programming in
    an exciting way?
    The kids need to know what it is, applications for and limitiations of it. I have also asked for examples of languages.
    Thanks
    Gilly

3. Make a minefields game in Excel
    10 x 10 grid with boarders
    Type some "x" s into some of of those cells and change the colour of the text to white.
    Right click on the worksheet tab and choose view code.
    Worksheet_SelectionChange event use the following code
    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    If ActiveCell.Value = "x" Then
    MsgBox "Bang"
    End If
    End Sub
    The pupil uses the direction keys on the keyboard to change the selected cell, when they land on a cell with an "x" in it they get a "bang" message box.
    You can adapt this into a treasure hunt game with input boxes and clues and points, and you can also send the users selected cell back to the start cell when they tread on a mine with the range("start_range_name").Select I work in a selective school and this activity works well with Year 5 pupils.
    This covers the event driven object orientated par for procedural coding I use Logo, the Year 5 or Year 6 pupils will design a race track in paint and then they will code the movements of the can/turtle around that track.Simple but fun :)
    Richard Finnigan
    St Johns School
    Northwood