1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easier to get a job as a single person than married with non-teacher spouse?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by BB2009, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Thank you for you reply. That would be an option too, thank you!
    Does anyone else have any more thoughts on if I would be more likely to be employed as a single person rather than with a non-teaching spouse? Thank you!

2. There has been quite a bit of discussion one this type of question, from my research I found the general picture to be along these lines:
    Teaching couples are usually very desirable for schools.
    Teaching couples with children often seen as a stable investment for a school.
    Teaching singles are next - but can be seen as less likely to stay on after initial contract.
    Teacher - with non teaching partner/spouse next.
    Teacher - with non teaching partner/spouse and child/ren (more the worse)

These are very generalised and are mainly from an economic point of view as seen by the school. There are many many exceptions - some schools are very happy to have families as they believe they are more secure and stable (less likely to do a runner). In my opinion non profit making schools often are more interested in getting the best staff and deal with what comes with them later.
    If you apply to the right schools (check the website - I only applied to ones that were clear on their views of extra family members coming with teachers), and they believe you are worth it then it won't be a problem.
    My school openly stated that they were not bothered about (and would be happy to pay for) all the trailing family accompanying me.

The thing to be aware of is what would the status of your partner be as in many countries they would not be allowed a visa if you are not married.
    Hope that helps
    R

3. Thank you very much for the responses, advice and opinions so far. Much to think about! x

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Totally disagree with you on that score! I'm in this 'worse' category and have never had any trouble relocating to different positions in Nigeria, Europe, Far East, Middle East! My husband has his own career overseas and travels to wherever I am. Plus I've got a son who settles in very well.
    If you present yourself correctly and you can actually do the job to the exacting or above standard then you are indispensible as there are some international terachers, particularly among the single & young, who are using the job as an opportunity to travel abroad before settling down and though there is nothing wrong in doing this, I feel that it reflects badly on those who wish to simply work and live overseas rather than in the UK.
    If the school is serious about its provision then it will accept you because at the end of the day the majority of international schools are there for Expats not just for locals!

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Being married can seriously effect your chances of finding work overseas.
    This was told to me by my recruitment agent from one of the main agencies, who confirmed there are countries who simply will not accept a married couple. Even worse is having a partner you are not married to, yet hoping to take with you.
    You are always gong to get exceptions, like lovely.lady, but this appears to be the more general rule.