1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easier exams for private schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Dec 30, 2018.

1. install

install Star commenter

But you do claim @TonyAllen123456 - that you have 'more recent experience' of both gcses and igcses than 'any' other posters. How can you claim or know this? Your claim is repeated below for clarity:

:rolleyes:

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

It might be advisable to change your user name if Tony Allen happens to be your real name . You don't have to use your real name on these forums and I think are advised not to.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Does Gove's son go to an Independent School? If so as I believe, will he be entered for IGCSE exams?

agathamorse and install like this.
  4. firstpoet

firstpoet New commenter

I was the first HoD in my area to cotton on to Cambridge iGCSE English, mainly for the oral component which I philosophically believed in as simulating a real life skill and which was rigorously recorded and sent off to be marked. Unfortunately, as my oral examiner friend confided, so many GCSE oral marks, marked internally by teachers, were fabricated by, frankly, shameless cheats in so many schools that the government were right to stop this rot. All that had to be done was to statistically compare exam marks with oral marks to see the outrageousness of the situation. Another reason I don’t look back at 40 years’ teaching with any misty nostalgia. The Cambridge written exams are equal in difficulty with the new GCSE papers. Written coursework is only worth 20% which seems fair. Of course if children have been read to by parents and have a modicum of general reading skills and a love of wide reading similar to the majority of kids of the pre internet age, a GCSE grade 5 is pretty easy with some exam technique. Of course if they do nothing much but exam practice through KS4 then the whole experience is Gradgrindian. I know of one school where the poor kids do the same GCSE Shakespeare text every year from yr 8 onwards. God help us.