1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easier exams for private schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Dec 30, 2018.

1. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Well there are all sorts of ways at looking at that but the short answer is yes.
    As soon as you make schools compete with each other for pupils and then put ambitious managers in the mix, you have a recipe for corruption. I do not believe for one minute that private schools are not fiddling their coursework but maybe they are less obvious about. For example a school that gets many of its pupils up to A and Bs in their coursework (usually by repeating it again and again) and then they get D and Cs in the exam is bound to raise suspicion. My wife moderated English coursework for both state and private schools (national and abroad) and on the whole state schools tended to be more accurate in their marking than the private schools.
    Gove removed igcse from state schools because he wanted our exams to be more rigorous but he had no power to do that for private schools. The question becomes do you believe his intention.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, there have been much more obvious cases than this and nothing was noticed. I expect exam grades are reasonably high anyway in most private schools and any odd coursework grades wouldn't be as easily identifiable.

I have always thought a university-based researcher could easily analyse the variation in coursework grades and exam grades and identify instances where cheating was either blindingly obvious or very likely, Very easy to do with the data and a basic stats package.

When I was a little more naive than I am now, I wondered why the exam boards weren't spotting this...

3. install

install Star commenter

Where a school is allowed to enter their students for an exam that other poorer students are barred from doing it is unfair.

The cwk thing is a red herring. Remember State schs don't just have to do the tougher gcses. For State schs, a grade 4 does not count towards their performance on the League Tables.

Put simply, we have what seems to be a system where State sch students are not being allowed to do the 'same' exams as private sch students because they might perform better. And that may upset the apple cart of the class system.

Remember with igcses some state sch students were beating some students from Eaton. Time for everyone to be allowed to sit the same exam regardless of social class or how poor they may be:cool:

4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Surely you mean "made" to sit the same exam - the Private turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In my "alternative" workplace setting, I'm allowed to do iGCSE. I'm taking up that option for two reasons.
    The most important reason is that I have the option of single award core science, a qualification denied to state school kids. I need this because I have youngsters who want a balanced science GCSE but have missed a lot of school.
    The minor reason is that I don't have to mess about with compulsory practicals.
    There is no coursework at all.
    In terms of difficulty of content, there doesn't seem to be much in it, the exams seem slightly old fashioned, but I'm still working to get my youngsters to a point of being able to do exam questions.

I can see why the Government wants every child to do at least double science. It's a good move, but in my mainstream days, there were usually one or two in each year group for whom single science was a valuable "step down".

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Yes - or the state students 'made' to 'not' sit an igcse in case they beat the private students and think they are better ?

7. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I love the use (and misuse) of the word 'rigour' when talking about exams!

In GCSE maths students sit 3 exams with one non-calculator. In IGCSE they sit two exams both calculator. Many private schools are now getting their students to buy the CASIO fx-99EX that solves all linear, quadratic and simultaneous equations, to use in exams. If you look at the Pearson exam statistics you will see that over 80% of entries are graded A/A* in IGCSE.

It seems to me given the evidence that to blandly say IGCSEs are more rigorous may be a bit of a fib!

monicabilongame and install like this.
  8. TonyAllen123456

TonyAllen123456 New commenter

For what it is worth I spent 4 years previous teaching various GCSE Science exam boards in state schools, I now teach Cambridge IGCSE (2'nd year). The international GCSE is considerably harder, however I will far outstrip my previous results mostly because of the attitude of the pupils and parents to education.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Yet - the state sch results shot up when they could do igcses - even beating students from Eaton? I suspect that the attitude of pupils and parents may in fact be better in some state schs - because they rely on hard work alone and not an unfair social system..

monicabilongame and briancant like this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Yeah, right!
    [​IMG]

install and briancant like this.
  11. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Nooooo! I taught IGCSE physics for a few years, I often got 100% pass rate, 80% of students above B. Why? BECAUSE IT'S EASIER!! I can understand the owners of international schools and private UK schools perpetuating this lie but teachers????

12. install

install Star commenter

4 yrs isn't long in the State sector? And all in different state schools ?.Were you not in a permanent position then?

13. TonyAllen123456

Jeez - I only offered my opinion! Glad you lot know all the answers then. It's obvious from what you all say I know absolutely nothing (despite still being at the chalk face and having more recent experience of both GCSE and IGCSE than any of you).

14. install

install Star commenter

Mmm...you have not answered the question though,.and why the assumption that you have more recent experience than other posters? :rolleyes:

15. TonyAllen123456

Basically as I don't want to lower myself (of course I held down real jobs). Assumed based on what was written

16. install

install Star commenter

Yes - but how many State schs in 4 yrs? And, 1 yr in private , this being your 2nd yr?:cool:

17. TonyAllen123456

What's has it got to do with you? Let's just say I have seen the broad spectrum of schools and am considered pretty good at what I do (both in state and private). I am also older so don't put up with BS from idiots. Go patronise some one else mate.

18. install

install Star commenter

Alot to do considering your claims you have more recent experiences than any other poster? I find this an odd claim and how would you know whether that is true or not? Also do you use this kind of language all the time ?

If your experience is broad over the past 6 yrs, then how many igcse and gcse groups have you actually seen through from start to finish? Are you really more experienced ? Sorry to ask- but you are the one making the claims ...

19. TonyAllen123456

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] I suppose it's we warn the youngsters about on the internet. At no point have I made claims other than my experience is recent. I offered an opinion that was different to yours
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. Have the last word if you must but like I advise the kids, I'll just have to ignore people like you.

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I don't think he is :D

monicabilongame and install like this.