1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Easier exams for private schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Dec 30, 2018.

1. install

install Star commenter

Yes athough.smaller classes seems fair if they have been paid for directly. I would argue that parent pressure might be more stressful for teachers in the private schs too though.The money being associated with Exam grade inflation or easier exams isn't nice to hear though if that is the case. It may not be. But it is interesting to also see that Universities have upped their unconditional offers massively since the arrival of student fees too.

When igcses were allowed in State schools, that teaching was considerably better in the State schs. State schs saw their results rise with igcses dramatically - even with bigger classes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

Edit :

It could be argued - When igcses were allowed in State schools, that teaching was considerably better in some State schs than some Private schs. State schs saw their results rise with igcses dramatically - even with bigger classes.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

My experience of IGCSE (and A-levels) is that it is a walk down memory lane with all the old stuff I used to do for the old, old A and O levels (and a bit of CSE).

In other words they haven't been fiddled to death by the Government, so are more mature and stable and the teaching can be more focussed and effective.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

The difference in difficulty varies between subjects e.g. English IGCSE was promoted as an easier alternative to the unreformed GCSE so I would expect it to still be an easier option whilst the Science IGCSE exams were harder than the old GCSEs but would probably be of a similar standard now.

5. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I don't see how they can be banned. IGCSE's aren't included in league tables and are no longer regulated in the UK, so the exam boards (sorry awarding bodies) can make them as easy or hard as they want.

install likes this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In my opinion ALL pupils in the UK should sit the SAME exams - whether State or Private school educated. This would enable ACCURATE levels of attainment to be made for ALL pupils and ACCURATE comparisons to be made between all schools.

What about OFSTED inspections? Are they the same for State and Public sector schools? Anyone know?
    Thanks

install and SomethingWicked like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I know! :D

OfSTED doesn't have any remit in independent schools. Instead they are inspected by these people: https://www.isi.net/about

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  8. gainly

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Yet the Govt did ban igcses in State schools because they were deemed not challenging enough.To allow them in private schs and not state schs is playing unfair on.some level...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. FrankWolley

I think they banned them because it allowed state schools to effectively by pass the League Tables. If I remember correctly they were banned some time before Gove changed the whole assessment system and made the GCSEs more difficult.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

No. Part of Gove's remit for more challenging exams included the banning of igcses at the same time in State schs .Legacy igcses were still allowed before the New Specs came in.

Igcses used to be allowed on League Tables and Performance measures. In fact,.Gove initially encouraged State schs to go for igcses. The surprise was they started to beat private sch students in like for like exams. It was starting to prove that teaching and learning might be better in some State schs than some private ones too.

So they no longer are allowed in League Tables. But savvy parents in State schs might enter their kids privately for the easier igcses.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. gainly

Install is quite correct, IGCSE's were only removed from the league tables when the new 9-1 GCSE's were introduced.
    https://help.cambridgeinternational...ible-for-funding-and-league-tables-in-the-UK-

Presumably if private schools continue to do IGCSE it means they don't consider league tables important.

Of course although the new 9-1 GCSE exams are harder, I don't think it's any more difficult to obtain an equivalent grade compared with the old GCSE exams as the grade boundaries have been significantly reduced.

agathamorse, nervousned and install like this.
  13. FrankWolley

Strange - I retired in 2013, and I distinctly remember that the IGCSEs (which I had taught previously in an independent school) couldn't be adopted before then in the state school I finished my career working in. As we looked into teaching them...:confused:

Not that it matters anyway - the fact is that they can't be used in state schools now is certain. I'm not sure about the principle of banning them - after all independent schools were the first to adopt the International Baccalaureate and the Cambridge Pre-U exams as well (& no-one who knows them would regard them as easier than A levels) - and if you force independent schools to adopt the same exams as state schools, where will this stop? Insist of classes of 30? Limit the range of subjects on offer? Might as well just outlaw private schools...

PS Who in their right mind would make their children take a second GCSE in a subject as they thought it might be easier?:eek: Madness... especially as GCSEs really aren't worth much once you have A levels or a degree...

14. install

install Star commenter

Gove heralded the igcse in 2010 for State schs. The previous Labour Govt were not keen on them.

Just to add, students in state schs even started to beat Eton students in like for like exams. Even students in classes of 30. So much so that the likes of Ofsted may have found some private schs to be considered failing had they been allowed to observe them.in like for like inspections.

State schs continued to get better and better results.Gove then declared igcses not challenging enough for state schs.

Yet if igcses are good enough for the likes of Eton, why should they no longer be good enough for State schs ?

15. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Replied in error. Please ignore.

16. SelectMyTutor

SelectMyTutor New commenter

After reading the attachment, we will know about education policies with new updates. Thank you.

17. gainly

What attachment? Not sure what this has to do with the thread.

18. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

I recently read the spec for IGCSE English just to check that it still has a 40% coursework element - it certainly seems to! How can this be fair?

We used to do IGCSE as an easier option to the old GCSE! The new GCSE Lit and Lang are more like A' Level in my opinion.

The new system causes a great deal of stress for my students and many feel lost and then despondent with the constant threat of resits hanging over them.

19. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

You have to remember part of the problem was that schools (state) were fiddling the coursework results and that applies to btech as well.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. gainly

Are you suggesting that private schools are still allowed to do coursework because they can be trusted not to fiddle the results?

lynne33 likes this.