1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EARS for just the practical marks - Unit 2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by walshj77, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hi All, Some advice. Please don't have a go. I am a new HoD from Sept with 4 years under my belt in a really successful dept. Just giving you some context before someone jumps down my neck about my lack of knowledge. We, as a school, have never appealed before because of marks just not being adjusted. However, I may consider appealing the practical marks for Unit 2. I watched the DVD I sent off twice since getting the results. We were marked down by 7! Some of the students on there are clearly band 1 and not band 2 as moderated in my opinion. The same students were also band 1 in Unit 1 and NOT moderated down. Students on the video can be heard saying 'through the use of thought tracking and still image in this lesson, I have learnt that the character of Linda feels weak - this could be down to the social context of the play, living in Liverpool in the 80s was tought and the lower working classes were hard hit by the reforms of the tory government. Linda's weakness could also be because of Mickey for example, in the still images the use of proxemics highlighted this as the two characters created space between them showing that their relationship was slowly growing apart...' I can go on - but I won't. This student has been marked top of BAND 2!!!! Unfair. Anyway, if I appeal, can I just appeal the practical marks. It seems to state this on the chief examiners report. Also, could the marks go DOWN if it do appeal? Thanks for the help.

2. Hi All, Some advice. Please don't have a go. I am a new HoD from Sept with 4 years under my belt in a really successful dept. Just giving you some context before someone jumps down my neck about my lack of knowledge. We, as a school, have never appealed before because of marks just not being adjusted. However, I may consider appealing the practical marks for Unit 2. I watched the DVD I sent off twice since getting the results. We were marked down by 7! Some of the students on there are clearly band 1 and not band 2 as moderated in my opinion. The same students were also band 1 in Unit 1 and NOT moderated down. Students on the video can be heard saying 'through the use of thought tracking and still image in this lesson, I have learnt that the character of Linda feels weak - this could be down to the social context of the play, living in Liverpool in the 80s was tought and the lower working classes were hard hit by the reforms of the tory government. Linda's weakness could also be because of Mickey for example, in the still images the use of proxemics highlighted this as the two characters created space between them showing that their relationship was slowly growing apart...' I can go on - but I won't. This student has been marked top of BAND 2!!!! Unfair. Anyway, if I appeal, can I just appeal the practical marks. It seems to state this on the chief examiners report. Also, could the marks go DOWN if it do appeal? Thanks for the help.

3. Feeling your pain...
    There is a section in the examiner's report for this unit which says explicitly that many teachers have not understood (a phrase used often... so often that it makes one wonder why they haven't understood) that there are NO MARKS awarded for evaluation during the workshops, that this has to be done in the written work.
    If you are going to appeal, DO NOT assume that your exam secretary knows the procedure. Mine didn't the time I appealed (I think it was £50 each for 19 students, no marks changed). I, acting on what I was told, thought that was that. I did not know that there is then a further stage in the process. So - whatever you do get it (the procedure, deadlines) all in writing.
    So -
    1 Submit Enquiry after Results (EAR) and ask for a re-moderation.
    then
    2 Appeal (procedures are checked)
    Marks can go down.
    And for a coursework remoderation, you have to put the whole cohort in for it.
    Deadlines are very tight - Sept. 20th.
    (Notice I didn't use a nasty word or sentiment once. Others should note).

4. Thanks Clive.
    It does also say you can get one element re-moderated.
    I also saw the bit in the examiners report which said about the no marks for evaluation BUT that was related to evaluation of performances and audience impressions of the performance.
    I am thinking that evalution of the use of stategies and an analysis of what has been learnt about the play text relates to the following in the assessment criteria...
    'Communication of ideas shows an oustanding knowledge and understanding of plot, character, form and structure'.
    The example of my student above...he did say 'I think that Linda is....because in the still image...this relates to the context of the play because....'
    He WASN'T saying
    The still image was effective because it introduced the audience to the characters.
    Therefore there was a focus on process rather than PRODUCT. As it seems to suggest in the assessment criteria.
    Thoughts....

5. Yup, its a complete nightmare. We are supposed to be doing Unit 2 first thing in September. The kids already read Blood Brothers at the end of Year 10! Still think we are going to soldier on and hope for clarification. When will we get it!?!? I am also just writing a practice Unit 2 SoW for Yr 10 on Blue Remembered Hills - so go knows if I am doing that right!