1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ears driving me mad!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Frances1985, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

Just over a month ago I had an ear infection and a throat infection at the same time, quickly followed by bacterial sinusitis. I now have a cold again and although I am much less stuffy today, my throat still hurts a bit (looks pretty red) and my ears are driving me barmy. Ever since I had that ear infection (left ear) I have experienced on and off shooting pains in my ears. Now they feel like I have been on a plane and are also itchy on the inside. I have booked a doctor's appointment, but it isn't til next Tuesday (and I booked it a week ago!!). Have never experienced ear problems before (not even as a child) so just wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar and knows of any good remedies!

2. Hi everyone,

Just over a month ago I had an ear infection and a throat infection at the same time, quickly followed by bacterial sinusitis. I now have a cold again and although I am much less stuffy today, my throat still hurts a bit (looks pretty red) and my ears are driving me barmy. Ever since I had that ear infection (left ear) I have experienced on and off shooting pains in my ears. Now they feel like I have been on a plane and are also itchy on the inside. I have booked a doctor's appointment, but it isn't til next Tuesday (and I booked it a week ago!!). Have never experienced ear problems before (not even as a child) so just wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar and knows of any good remedies!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I get this sort of thing all the time.

The only remedy really is time. You can try decongestants such as sudafed, but they don't do much.

4. Thanks Lila, have been taking Sudafed but, as you said, they don't do much! My ears now feel like I am on a long haul flight! Annoying :-/

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Have you tried the sudafed nasal spray?
    That or Beconase spray seem to work better for me than pseudoephedrine capsules.

6. If your ears are itchy it may mean that you have an outer ear infection, speak to a pharamacist and get some earcalm (acetic acid) spray as a stop gap before your appointment. I have chronic outer ear infections, and the itching drives me mad but earcalm will help.

7. I have had problems with the inside of my ears for the past 3 years or so. I constantly feel as though I am taking off or landing in an aeroplane and have to constantly swallow to make them pop. This gets worse when I have a cold but is there even when I am otherwise healthy. Whenever I have been to the GP about it, though, they always say they can't see anything abnormal in the ear canal.

8. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

I recommend putting lemon juice or vinegar in your ears. It helps to kill infection and will make them feel better. I found this by googling when I had a bad ear infection and was in agony. It really helped. However it isn't a long term solution!

9. Vinegar? Have never heard of that! I'm willing to try anything though! Thanks :)

10. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Have you had it checked at the doctor's surgery? have only skimmed the thread

11. Hiya have got a doc's appointment booked on Tuesday. I booked it nearly 2 weeks ago and unbelievably it was the first appointment I could get! I'm really feeling it tonight. Have had bad nasal congestion all day, my ears feel like they have loads of pressure in them and I'm aching behind my eyes. I'm the lead singer in a band and meant to have a rehearsal tonight but I've had to cancel as my singing voice sounds awful.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Cut down/out dairy produce - they contribute to congestion. Continue with decongestants but my consultant always said put nothing smaller than your elbow in your ear and he included in that all forms of liquids which were not specifically prescribed.
    I've had trouble with my ears all my life (only recently discovered that I have abnormally narrow eustachian tubes) and now use hearing aids when congestion causes protracted deafness.