1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Earning BEFORE teacher training has finished.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by DeloresVanC, May 6, 2017.

1. DeloresVanC

DeloresVanC New commenter

Hello all! I am currently doing my teacher training, and I have been offered a job to start one month BEFORE my course finishes. A few other people on my course have been offered the same.
    We have been told that we cannot earn money as a teacher whilst still on the course as we are in receipt of loans and bursaries - I only receive student loans not a bursary. But we weren't given anymore information about it and questions were left unanswered.
    I have looked EVERYWHERE for information on this: on the gov.co.uk website, on the UCAS website, on the student finance website, on my course website, on other university websites, Google.....but I cannot find any information about this. Not in the FAQs or terms or condition etc.
    Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with this and can share some knowledge please? I haven't signed my contract yet (I'll receive it next week) so I'd like to know what I can and cannot do before then.
    Would I have to work unpaid? Pay back my student loan for the month I'd be working, or the whole lot? Or anything would be helpful. I'd LOVE to be able to earn money through the summer!
    Thank you :)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

There might be a rule at your uni that you cannot earn at the same time as receiving loans and grants, but they won't actually be aware of whether you're working or not, so don't worry about it. Lots of schools have their new teachers start as soon as the course ends, it's not illegal or anything like that; lots of people on my course did the same.

You won't start to pay back your loans until April next year (new tax year); at that point it will be automatically taken from your salary.

3. DeloresVanC

Do you think? The thing is, my course ends a month after the start date for my new job. Will that make a difference?

4. blueskydreaming

The way they schedule the payment of the loans/grants and so on is silly - you have to wait ages from the start of the course before the first one, then they pay the final one after the course finishes (at least, that's what they did for us). But if you've completed the entire course then you're entitled to all the money, regardless of when they pay it.

How can your job start before the course ends - will you not be going to uni sessions and what not for the final month, and working instead? The course doesn't end when normal uni sessions end, it'll be about 23rd June, so are you sure you've got that right?

You've done your due diligence - you've tried to find out on various websites, you've asked on here, so you can rest assured that you're not doing anything wrong. Lots of lucky people start their NQT jobs in June/July, and therefore get paid before September.

5. DeloresVanC

I'm doing a SCITT so we don't go to uni. We do 4 days a week of teaching and one day a week doing CPD sessions. So my course won't have finished and I'll still be going to the remaining CPD sessions. My course finishes on July 15th.

So you think it's ok and I should sign my contract when it comes next week? My parents can't work out why a teaching job would be any different to another job, say café work, when receiving student finance. At uni, my friend was doing a part-time publishing course and was working part-time for a publishing company. Surely that's the same thing as teaching while on a teaching course?

I really appreciate your help and advice! Thank you very much.

6. blueskydreaming

Yeah it's fine. Sign it.

Shocked you're getting your contract so soon, normally you don't get it until about 2 months in to the job!

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If your course finishes on July 15th then you are free to be employed AFTER this date. You cannot start a post beforehand as you have not completed the programme this sounds a very dubious arrangement particularly as they are making you sign a contract? You also need to consider what happens if your QTS or PGCE needed some further work. I advise you discuss this with your Union before committing to anything.

bonxie likes this.