1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Earn as much as possible abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bronagh12, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bronagh12

bronagh12 New commenter

Hi
    I am looking for a teaching job abroad so that I can save for the future. Which country offers the best teaching salaries?
    Meg

2. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Saudi. But you might die of boredom.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Please search the forum.
    And start measuring strings.

soilasalle, 576 and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Avoid truly terrible paying places like Spain and the other sunny southern european countries and you will be amazed at what is possible. You can earn $100 000 a year plus have all the usual benefits like accommodation, flights, medical, free child places etc in many parts of the world. The ME is not the only place.
    Just remember its more of how badly uk teachers are paid, and how expensive the uk is when comparing what can be earned. I have said this loads of times, you only nesd to get a very average international salary to earn more than a uk main scale teacher.

But do your research

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

bronagh12, this is indeed one of those "How long is a piece of string?" questions. You must forgive some of us who have been on this forum for a few years and so we come across this sort of question many, many times.

First of all, a wonderful salary is not quite so wonderful if you are not alive to spend you hard-earned cash. There are some places in the world that are not altogether safe. I have had colleagues who were pleased to get jobs in Venezuela and Libya, only for it all to turn horribly (and dangerously) sour. If you have asthma or some other breathing problems, would it really be wise to accept a teaching post in Beijing?

Secondly, some international schools give you a very good salary, but they do not provide you with somewhere to live. If you have to pay accommodation costs out of your own pocket, then of course the salary is not so good.

Thirdly, transport. When I was teaching in China, I could walk to school each day. Shenzhen's excellent public transport meant that we did not need a car, whereas in Qatar we had the hassle and the expense of running TWO cars.

As dumbbells66 has already mentioned, an important thing to remember is that the UK is a horribly expensive place. As this aged hippopotamus has patiently explained many times, you might in fact be significantly better off if you were getting even a modest salary, if you were teaching overseas and not in Rip Off Britain.

7. Ne11y

Ne11y New commenter

As above. It's not just about salaries, but savings. You need to factor in cost of living, lifestyle expectations, financial obligations etc.

Also, be prepared for the unexpected.

I am currently working towards a goal of saving this year and am on track, but it requires planning and some sacrifices (e.g. no travelling at the moment, including trips home), as well as some good luck. A colleague of mine planned similar, but with dependents and some poor luck, is currently saving nothing.

Do your research and decide what your own requirements and limits are.

576 likes this.
  8. 576

576 Established commenter

Because international schools are independent they offer different salaries and benefits within the same country and city.
    Choosing a location with little to spend your money on can be a more effective route to saving than looking for the highest salary.
    It's not massive but I was saving £6k pa in rural Africa in addition to a school pension scheme (and additional payments into that too)

loislane1 likes this.
  9. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I don't really think that it's just about the country, but also about the school. Most regions have high and low payers. That said, Western Europe (with maybe Switzerland as the exception) and North America don't seem to provide many lucrative opportunities for educators to save. Asia seems to have the highest concentration of lucrative opportunities. However, as mentioned above, you really need to look beyond the headline salary to net pay after tax and accommodation. The cost of living of the country may also impact your savings potential.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

I'd be interested in hearing about your Shenzhen experience. I'm currently in Hong Kong.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It's all so variable.
    Let's not forget that you won't be the only one competing for the "good" jobs. In addition to researching who pays what, you'll want to be polishing your skills, CV and interview techniques. And writing individualized cover letters for each school you apply to.

12. bead

bead New commenter

KUWAIT. Good schools pay from 2500gbp (NQT) to about 3500 gbp top of scale. They all offer accommodation and no utility bills.
    This is unpromoted.

13. dumbbells66

i know of at least one school in South Africa that will beat this hands down, and its a LOT nicer to live. there are also a number of very high paying schools in Africa.

14. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

That's just offensive. By your comment, one would get the impression that it is the sort of country that kills its own citizens...

15. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

16. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

Generally, the Middle East and China have the most options to save well and are accessible for most teachers.

There are many other places which have great packages but some will be very hard to get into unless you are very good/teach Physics or Math or Chem.

17. thecraicis90

thecraicis90 New commenter

May I ask where you've taught in Africa. I surely want to return there just as soonas I can

18. 576

576 Established commenter

There are several British curriculum schools in Kenya that advertise TES.

19. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

Is that $100K when you arrive as a teacher without any stipends? Package not included in that?

We know the highest paying African country, it begins with an A. I don't know of any other school that the one in that country's capital that pays big, big, big.

I'm not doubting you, just wondering where a $100k salary is. Or are we talking apples and pears?

20. dumbbells66

no thats not starting, but only takes a few years to get there. top of the pay scale in South Africa is around $87 000 tax free, plus all the usual benefits. there are also high paying schools in Nigeria, and Tanzania isnt to bad.

there are a number of countries all over the world where you can ear this kind of money....from my experience i would say its best to avoid British schools