1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early years - you tube

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by luluandcat, May 10, 2012.

1. I am starting in a reception class in September and i'm trying to think of some time fillers that I could use. I know there are some good interactive videos and songs on youtube that children like but I cannot find any. If anybody could tell me some youtube videos that young children like them please let me know.

Thank you

2. I am starting in a reception class in September and i'm trying to think of some time fillers that I could use. I know there are some good interactive videos and songs on youtube that children like but I cannot find any. If anybody could tell me some youtube videos that young children like them please let me know.

Thank you

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Can you access youtube at your school? There are lots of things I would like to use but it is blocked by our filters.
    Also, what do you mean by 'time fillers'? I never have enough time.

4. witchhazel

witchhazel New commenter

We use Boogie babies on the Cbeebies website. There are a whole range of themed songs with dance movements. Sometimes on wet playtimes we put them on and I just can't resist joining in even when I am not on duty :)

5. There are loads of texts either read or animated on YouTube as well as songs, nursery rhymes etc. Just do a search. We have only recently been able to access YouTube - have you tried lately?

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

My class like the music videos from Priory Woods School. I've downloaded some on to my laptop, so if the internet is down at school we can still use them. They're useful to play just before lunchtime - especially when I'm only sending a few children at a time to wash their hands, so that we don't have massive queues at the toilets.
    http://www.priorywoods.middlesbrough.sch.uk/page_viewer.asp?page=Switch+%2F+Touch+Screen+Videos&pid=74
    We sometimes play them at snack time as well - although I discourage children from choosing "banana phone". Otherwise it takes them half the morning to eat their fruit as they are too busy playing with it!

7. My class love this clip! Also great for talking about African animals and puppets too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXSyJ4CeUXo&feature=related

8. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

Hey - Firstly you can access youtube videos at home and save them to play at school on your computer. Just copy and paste URL into keepvid.com or saveyoutube.com .
    Secondly I recommend looking up Pete the Cat - Rocking in my school shoes and Pete and his white shoes. You can see the rocking in my school shoes on youtube and download from haprercollinswebsite or buy them on itunes. Great songs and books you can buy to go with them. So catchy. There is also another song by Eirc LItwin called, 1, 2, 3, Whee which I downloaded from youtube ... fabulous jazzy songs. I ALSO downloaded his story song of the 3 little pigs because it is geuninely the best story telling version and jazziest sing along song I've ever heard about the 3 little pigs.

Also I recommend you look on youtube at the following; All songs/ story songs my kids love.
    • - 'Slippery Fish' ...
    • 'If I were an animal' by Patty Shulka - she has tons of songs on youtube so search her and browse through her songs.'
    • Animal action' '
    • The skeleton dance'
    • '5 little monkeys'.
    • Also good would be a cute weather song like Mr Sun or Rain Rain go away.
    • A days of the week song.
    • Search for barefoot books, animated stories and songs ... very good.
    • Hap Palmer, lets all clap our hands together is good.
    • The wiggles - shake your sillies out.
    • Tofa Tafa.
    • The Shake Break is one of my kids favourites -= they love it! Good if they're getting fidgety.
    • ABC and phonics songs, the one by Barbara Milne is good for letter sounds.
    • Search 'Have Fun Teaching - lots of fun number and literacy songs there including ace individual letter sound songs.
    • The space song by Peter weatheall.
    • The Number Rock is excellent - numbers 1 -20 - really catchy.
    Will you have a smartboard in Spetember because I'd recommend if you do, finding some good literacy and maths games for interactive group activities :D Good luck.

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Wow! What a great list, doctorinthetardis. A lot of those are new to me - I'll enjoy trawling through them.
    My children also like Harry Kindergarten's videos. He's uploaded a couple of hundred so you have to search carefully - I tend to use the ones with him, rather than the ones with children singing his songs.
    They're good for number (eg learning that teen numbers always start with a 1, counting in 10s etc), and for rote learning eg days of the week, months of the year etc).

10. wow i agree that list is good!!
    you can get the cbeebies shows but go to the iplayer part of it not the main cbeebies site otherwise you only get clips where as on iplayer they are full episodes. On you tube there is also makaton singing hands great just for the actions alone especially wheels on the bus version. and come outside with Pippin the dog and aunt mable!! oh and mr tumble but that tends to be better on the iplayer.

11. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I like the Cbeebies Go Go Mango song, catchy! Got it on Youtube.
    I also recommend the Barefoot Books Portside Pirates song ... my kids think it is the best pirate video ever! Very good.
    Ooh and also 'Can an elephant Jump?' - such a good song.
    And Laurie Berkner - We are the Dinosaurs - the kids get to stomp around the room like dinoosaurs - they love it!
    Can you tell the interests of my class?? LOL.

12. You cant get you tube at schools as the proxy server bars it. If I want to show a you tube video to my class I file it in my realplayer library. Just download Realplayer from the internet and when you watch a video on any website it will ask if you want to download it to realplayer automatically.
    Time fillers for me are holding activities whilst children are going to the loo or some are involved in finishing activity.!

13. DENISE4444

DENISE4444 New commenter

Hi you can convert you tube to mp4, if you type in you tube converter to google, i learnt how to dot this at the weekend and am VERY proud of myself LOL

14. We have only recently been able to access YouTube at school. Have you actually tried it at school lately?

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Thanks for this I've just had a go and it worked!

To Ucan2 - We still can't get youtube at school. I even involved our IT technician who got on to all relevant authorities just so I could use a Dfe video on the Phonics Screening for a staff meeting. In the end a colleague's husband recorded it for me. I'll be able to do it myself now!