1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years qualification / course?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi there, I trained to teach the age-range 7-11, but have since decided that I'm better-suited to Y1 and reception. I have had some KS1 and EYFS leader responsibilities in the past, but in order to become really confident in leading these areas in a large(ish) primary school, I feel like I need to have some kind of knowledge behind me. I've taught in KS1 for 5 years, but feel that my knowledge is from experience, rather than theory about how children learn etc.
    Obviously this knowledge from hands-on experiences is also important, but I feel that I'd like to be able to relate this to theory of some kind.
    The Early Years Professional course is an option I think, but is more designed for 'beginners' (and I use that term loosely), rather than qualified, experienced teachers. Is there another option, an online course, ....?

2. Hi there, I trained to teach the age-range 7-11, but have since decided that I'm better-suited to Y1 and reception. I have had some KS1 and EYFS leader responsibilities in the past, but in order to become really confident in leading these areas in a large(ish) primary school, I feel like I need to have some kind of knowledge behind me. I've taught in KS1 for 5 years, but feel that my knowledge is from experience, rather than theory about how children learn etc.
    Obviously this knowledge from hands-on experiences is also important, but I feel that I'd like to be able to relate this to theory of some kind.
    The Early Years Professional course is an option I think, but is more designed for 'beginners' (and I use that term loosely), rather than qualified, experienced teachers. Is there another option, an online course, ....?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think EYPS is open to you as a teacher in a maintained school working with over 5s
    one of the requirments is
    Have sufficient recent and relevant experience to enable you to demonstrate that you meet all the early years professional standards across the age range birth to five.
    http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/about/faq#Q_441
    Will the training provider accept me if I work in a maintained setting?
    A:

The local authority administered part of the Graduate Leader Fund (GLF) is for full daycare providers in the private, voluntary and independent (PVI) sector. CWDC's Graduate Leader Fund allocation can be used to support EYP candidates in Children’s Centres as well as early years settings in the PVI sector.

Individuals working in sessional settings, childminders (particularly those leading childminder networks) and those who are employed to support the early years workforce will be eligible for funding. However this will only become available once priority funding has been allocated by training providers.

You could look at a MA in EYs?