1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years Professional Status

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sophie_b_87, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I have a presentation on this for uni and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of barriers to mulit-agency working that practitioners with EYPS would face that others might not. Thanks in advance.

2. I would suggest that there's a very real chance that they would not be taken seriously!

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

IF they have trained in a children's centre they would not meet any barriers. Don't know about other kinds of settings though. I cannot think of any barriers they would meet, because they know their role and their business very well!

4. The biggest for me is that practitioners with EYPS are not considered to be the same standing as teachers, as was intended by the qualification. I got EYPS through the pilot of the fast-track scheme as I had Qualified Teacher Status already, but when going for jobs in school, not many had heard of EYPS, so where I thought it was a big deal to have that extra qualification, they didn't. It really needs to be publicised and 'sold' to schools if Early Years Professionals are going to work with a range of professionals without the barrier of seeming less qualified.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

EYPs can't teach in schools unless they also have QTS as you do so perhaps that is why schools don't consider it a big deal. There isn't a great deal of advantage in a school to employ someone with QTS and EYPS over a QTS who is early years trained I'm afraid.
    I think many people were "misled" (not intentionally I'm sure ) by training providers who didn't clarify that although EYPS and QTS, are both professional statuses,they are based on a different set of skills and knowledge. Therefore it is important to note that EYPS and QTS are not interchangeable.

6. I agree. I am a qualified teacher, have a BA Hons in Childhood Education, have worked in preschools and reception for nearly 15 years, but am still being asked to do EYPS. I'm really not sure what benefit it will bring me and there will be times when I won't even mention it.

7. Would it be beneficial for me to do an EYPS course as an NQT??

My degree is Key Stage 2/3 and after a year and a half, I have been supply teaching hoping to further my career in Key Stage 1 or the Foundation Stage, had a number of KS1 long term vacancies and worked as an early years practitioner in a number of nurseries.
    My ideal job is to work as an Early Years Leader in a reception class or nursery joined with a school or in a Key Stage 1 class.. although I have applied for endless jobs in Key Stage 1 and haven't even received interviews :-(
    I've been offered the chance to do an EYPS but I am unsure if this will be valuable to me
    Help please
    xxxxxx

8. http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/461663.aspx?PageIndex=1#6385478
    Have a look a the above thread re QTS . teacher being made redundant from CC because gov. only require EYPS.
    Returning to barriers preventing EYPS form working with other agencies, perhaps they can be the ambiguous nature of the status. Also if there is a possibility that EYPS folk will be used as an economic measure in the workforce to replace teachers then this might present a barrier to some, don't you think.
    Ok, I know that legally one has to employ QTS in schools but how long for I wonder ?
    Imo EYPS, if you already have QTS, would only be useful if you wanted to extend your working with with under threes.
    However as few under three srttings can match QTS payscale, not a wise career move

9. If EYPS is being offered to you and will be paid for and you are not in employment then perhaps it is an opportunity that you could use to your advantage as it would give you a foot in the door to EY settings via placements. In particular it would be useful if you could do a fairly short pathway.
    However, do you have to be in post already or can it be done via placements alone ? I think it likely that you will need to spend time in 0-3 placements settings also as well as 3-5.

10. Thankyou for your advice and reply :)
    Yes it is being paid for and this made me believe it would be a great opportunity for my career development. This was my initial thought too.
    The EYPS sounds the perfect course for me however, I have been told the most suitable pathway is the long part time 15 month choice, but the idea of spending an extra 15 months is cringeworthy after barely finishing my teaching degree. A 6 month pathway would be ideal although I have been told I would need even more early years experience to do this unfortunately :-(
    On the current long pathway I have been recommended for, you need to be employed, which I have the offer for if I wish to become an EYP at a private nursery setting (0-5), a school setting would be even better but I can't be fussy!
    Do you think EYPS & QTS will appeal to Early Years Setting employers? I'm still undecided if it will be worth my while
    xxx

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

It really depends on what you want to do. If your long term aim is to teach in schools, then I dont know what EYPS will achieve for you. On the other hand, if you want the flexibilit of woring in the PVI secotr or CCs, then EYPS wll be good for you, but you would be very un likely to get paid as much.
    We have more and more settings that are getting job applications from people with QTS. Knowing that they cant match salary they worry that the teacher would leave as soon as a teaching job comes along, and so are often reluctant to consider them unless they dnt have much choice.
    I wuold only do EYPS if you really feel teaching is not for you.

12. I don't think you will find the EYPS that dificult after teacher training in the sense of academic rigour.
    However it is demanding in the box ticking type way but I think you might just learn to play that game.
    Personally having worked with an EYPS student I am not that impressed with the training. There is an awful ot about affecting change in the placement setting. That is almost impossible to do as a rookie.
    The inde setting also gets a fair bit of dosh for having you even after you have achieved EYPS I think, so it is to their advantage to encourage you not to be in a hurry.
    I don't think you will ever earn as much as a teacher in an EYPS only role. EYPS and QTS might get you as far as the shortlist in a school perhaps. That is a guess, I don't really know that.
    I had the opportunity to do EYPS but thought I would wait and see how the status evolved. I have no plans to take it up.

13. Having worked in schools as a home school links worker, i found some teachers lacked the skills/time and resources of pulling multiagency processes together and usually left this to the school SENCo.
    Where as the EYP is trained to draw other professionals and agencies in when working with multidisciplinary groups.
    The EYPS is trained to be a social pedagogue - one that brings the whole community together to bring about the wellbeing of children. The whole ECM ideology is built on this thinking of bringing health, social care and education together and the EYPS being at the centre.
    So from birth to five you would have the EYP supporting these children and families and from 5-19 you would have a home school links worker supporting children and families.
    So a person with both QTS and EYPS you can work in early intervention with families who have children from 0-19yrs. All the best!