1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years Professional Status - a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Clevercrocodiles, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Clevercrocodiles

Clevercrocodiles New commenter

Does anyone have any views on this topic. Studying this does NOT mean receiving more income.
    My head did not even know what it was! I think they are telling people in nurseries that this is the way to promotions etc but you have to have a degree to do this, so why would you opt to do this and not QTS? It seems to me that when people have this they do not get paid any more. How many jobs have you seen with this and a good salary? Recently I asked for more info about a manager's job in a nursery - have all relevant qualifications - am a teacher!!! and spent years in nursery, childminding, outstanding ofsted etc and they refused to tell me the salary and asked if I had EYPS. They are taking advantage of people. I have replied that I would like to know the salary BEFORE applying!!! What does everyone else think?

2. Clevercrocodiles

Clevercrocodiles New commenter

Does anyone have any views on this topic. Studying this does NOT mean receiving more income.
    My head did not even know what it was! I think they are telling people in nurseries that this is the way to promotions etc but you have to have a degree to do this, so why would you opt to do this and not QTS? It seems to me that when people have this they do not get paid any more. How many jobs have you seen with this and a good salary? Recently I asked for more info about a manager's job in a nursery - have all relevant qualifications - am a teacher!!! and spent years in nursery, childminding, outstanding ofsted etc and they refused to tell me the salary and asked if I had EYPS. They are taking advantage of people. I have replied that I would like to know the salary BEFORE applying!!! What does everyone else think?

3. The main issue is that someone with an EYPS degree can only really teach in Early Years and is therefore not as flexible as a teacher with QTS. Whilst the EY is a crucial and indeed I would argue a crucial area of learning, in a small school you cannot afford to have a staff member in a particular year group because they cannot teach elsewhere.