1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Early Years Practioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrsclw1, Jan 3, 2019.

  1. mrsclw1

    mrsclw1 New commenter

    Hello There,
    (I’m hoping this is ok to ask here & that I’ve got the correct thread to ask!)

    I am a qualified Level 3 TA, working as a one to one in an infant school. My current role in my school unfortunately is no more as from next week, due to funding being redirected.
    Whilst I got some time out of work, and me and my husband can afford it, I would like to use the time to expand my skills area.
    I’m looking at possibly doing an Early Years Practioner course, whilst volunteering at either a nursery/ pre school or in a reception class to gain more hands on knowledge.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any more information in regards to the role of an EYFS Practioner and whether anyone can recommend a course to look into please?
    Many thanks!
  2. mrsclw1

    mrsclw1 New commenter

    Just realised that my dear Apple device has changed my ‘Practitioner’ to ‘Practioner’.
  3. Toomuchtooyoung

    Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

    The role would depend on the setting. In a school you would work under a teacher but in a childcare setting you would work alongside other L3s, as well as others who may well be more or less qualified. L3 is the most common early years qualification. The L3 qualification is pretty much standard content, the difference is in the training providers, and that will be a local thing. You would have to consider the cost and time, usually at least 12 months. If you want to work in early years I would think you would be best trying to get a TA job in a school nursery and do the qualification there. Also if you don’t end up in a school but in a childcare setting, you may well be looking at shifts between 7:30 and 6, and 6 weeks holiday, which can be very restrictive when you can take it.
  4. hawkeye100

    hawkeye100 New commenter

    I have over 30 years experience and L3 qualified, min wage. My advice would be to get a teaching degree.

Share This Page