1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years Phonics/Maths Workshops for parents

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by janecheetham, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I'm interested in holding workshops for my reception class parents related to phonics and maths. Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to organise these?

2. I'm interested in holding workshops for my reception class parents related to phonics and maths. Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to organise these?

3. Have the parents had a phonics workshop before? We run one every Autumn term for Nursery and Reception parents. We go through each phase very quickly saying what we concentrate on, giving examples of the sounds, giving websites which might help (particularly EAL parents) and giving a sheet with all the sounds and descriptions of actions in order. Perhaps combine the phonics with a reading workshop if you haven't done one already? Then you could show a clip of the children in action-in phonics and using the phonics strategies in reading.
    For maths-we invited parents from both classes in again and showed quick clips of the children in one of our classes to show what we do. Then we gave ideas for what they could do at home/on the way to school to help and gave out a leaflet with these tips on and with the main outcomes on.
    Hope that helps.