1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EARLY YEARS PGCE QUALIFICATION AND WORKING IN AUSTRALIA

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucyjo1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. lucyjo1

lucyjo1 New commenter

Hello!
    I would really appreciate some productive help with the following:
    Up until September I was working in Australia on a working holiday visa and absolutely fell in love with the place, having spent over a year there, working as an Early Childhood Assistant . However, in September this year (2011) my visa expired and I was lucky enough to return to the UK and start my Early years PGCE (3 - 7) which I hope to complete in June 2012.
    I absolutely love working in the Early Years and I was pleased to see that 'Early Years Teacher' is on the skilled occupation list for Australia. It had never crossed my mind that I could do this, but seeing this gave me the hope that one day in the near future I would be able to return to Australia. I then started to research what the process would be (I know it is not easy) and it became apparent to me that in order to be recognised as an Early Years Teacher in Australia, you must also be qualified and experienced with 0 - 2 year olds as well. The UK early years PGCE does not cover this and I could really do with some advice on what I could next to cover this age, for example if there a top up course that I could do?
    I would be very interested to hear from any people who are in the same situation or from those who can offer some practical advice. I have spent a significant amount of time researching ways around this but so far I have been unsuccessful.
    kind regards,
    Lu x

2. lucyjo1

lucyjo1 New commenter

Hello!
    I would really appreciate some productive help with the following:
    Up until September I was working in Australia on a working holiday visa and absolutely fell in love with the place, having spent over a year there, working as an Early Childhood Assistant . However, in September this year (2011) my visa expired and I was lucky enough to return to the UK and start my Early years PGCE (3 - 7) which I hope to complete in June 2012.
    I absolutely love working in the Early Years and I was pleased to see that 'Early Years Teacher' is on the skilled occupation list for Australia. It had never crossed my mind that I could do this, but seeing this gave me the hope that one day in the near future I would be able to return to Australia. I then started to research what the process would be (I know it is not easy) and it became apparent to me that in order to be recognised as an Early Years Teacher in Australia, you must also be qualified and experienced with 0 - 2 year olds as well. The UK early years PGCE does not cover this and I could really do with some advice on what I could next to cover this age, for example if there a top up course that I could do?
    I would be very interested to hear from any people who are in the same situation or from those who can offer some practical advice. I have spent a significant amount of time researching ways around this but so far I have been unsuccessful.
    kind regards,
    Lu x

3. Hi! I am in a very similar situation and since this was posted eighteen months ago, I was wondering if you had found anything out?

Kate x

4. I am in W Australia and been in ECE for many years. Yes, the newer EC courses offered by the universities are 0-8 year olds. Why don't you contact the universities themselves and see what they advise. There may be some online learning that would add to your experience in UK.

5. Fab ,I trained in Sydney Australia and live in Spain. I am looking at working in Early Years . I am reading up on the new frame work . That's how I taught back home and getting excited about working with little ones again . I had a long break from teaching . Good luck and enjoy Western Australia.