1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

early years pgce interview UCB....any advice??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by h4y, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Quite alright it helps to know a bit more about whats going to happen to settle nerves.
    Props for story are always good to help those visual learners and bring the story alive. Can I ask which story you're planning on reading? Could you incorporate some songs/actions for children to do or opportunities for active participation from children within story?- makes it last longer so haven't necessarily got to worry about linked activities afterwards. Would personally steer away from jigsaws as might be a little much for concentration and if have a large group then run risk of not having enough jigsaws and last thing you want is argument between children lol. Would offer colouring sheets to leave behind after as early years is trying to steer away from worksheets but there's always some children who love colouring and again thats my personal view. Also with both those activities it doesn't really demonstrate your ability to teach as you can and want to do. If I know what story you're reading then am happy to share some suggestions for other follow-up activities so you can plan more for up your sleeve!
    My presentation included theory and research, and referred to EYFS and N/C to support, but SEN would need to include legislation too- ECM, new SEN green paper,etc alongside practical info and offering personal experience/ opinions. Think isnt enough time for in-depth look at SEN but fo general overview and then perhaps narrow some aspects down by using experiences. Thats what another girl in my group did and I quite enjoyed listening to it lol.
    When did you say your interview is? If want any more advice/chat or have any more q's am happy to pm you my email address so can reply quicker :)

2. yes please, can you send me your email address through my TES inbox and then I can email you the details.

Thank-you so much :)

3. my interview is on tuesday 24th april, so I haven;t got very long to prepare now.
    Sunum

4. Hi, I hope that you are enjoying your PGCE at UCB. I have applied for entry in 2013 and have been given an interview. I wondered if you would be able to give me some advice. I have been asked to do a presentation on either EAL, SEN, or behavioural management in the early years. However, I'm really not sure what to include in the poster, did you set it out as an information poster explaining, for instance, how we ensure children with EAL succeed referring to legislation and research? Also, for the English task we have been asked to reflect on the theory and practice of teaching young children. I'm not really sure exactly what they mean by this, do you think it is different theories of learning (e.g. behavioral theory) and how this is implemented in the classroom? Or more what is set out in the NC? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to get onto the PGCE course! If you could give me any advice it would be very much appreciated :) Thanks

5. Hi Hay I have just read your post and I was wondering if you could help me a little. I have an interview coming up and im ever so nervous. You mentioned your presentation was on SEN I am planning on doing mine on SEN to, will it be possible for you to provide me with a few ideas on what to include etc I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

Nee05 x

6. Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website so bare with me haha!

Unfortunately I didn't achieve the grades I needed to obtain my conditional place on the PGCE Primary course at Newman University. I've JUST received an email to say that UCB have accepted my application for PGCE Early Years and have offered me an interview for July 4th.

I'm freaking out a little at the moment as they are asking a great deal and is completely different to the interview I had at Newman.

First of all does anybody have any ideas on what book I can use for the practical part of the interview?

Also for the written task I have been asked to 'reflect on a theory and practice of teaching young children.' Does anyone have any ideas for this either?

This interview prep is very last minute as ive only just found out so im in a bit of a pickle!

7. Hi everyone,

Due to a very last minute decision to apply for a PGCE, I have been offered an interview on Wednesday 21st August (through clearing). I have been given the same criteria as you EmzyL and I was wondering how you got on in your interview? In terms of the English written task regarding theories and practice of teaching young children, what kind of information did you include?

How did your school based task go? I have been told that this will be created in a mock environment at the University so I'm unsure as to whether I will actually be reading to a group of children or not. Did you get the children to partake in an activity afterwards?

I would really appreciate any information anyone has as I'm having a bit of a last minute panic due to only receiving the letter a few days ago!

Thank you,

Hannah

8. Hi Hannah! And everyone else I met on Wednesday :)

I passed my Lit skills test... Yipeeeee!!!

I just hope we all get a place on the course :) fingers crossed...xxx

9. Yay well done on passing! Wonder how the other girl got on with her numeracy? Has anyone heard anything yet? Dawn x