1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years MMS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by August11, Nov 22, 2011.

1. We are an outstanding school with good maths results who have taken on the MMS programme.
    Our Foundation Stage was highly praised by OFSTED for our creative practice and our knowledge of individual children.
    I am an Early Years teacher and after attending two days MMS Training had MANY reservations about this programme particularly in the Early Years.
    It is recognised good practise in EYFS to work from the children (the Unique Child), to follow their interests and to make learning opportunities fun and engaging in all aspects of the curriculum. MMS is dull, prescriptive and is not based on real life situations.
    The Reception Folder contains activities and worksheets relating to adult precribed topics. The presentation and content of the worksheets is like going back 10 years. In week one we count to three and later in the block we suddenly jump to thirty with very little in between. Whereas currently we use a range of resources and practical activities planned with the childern to engage them and develop their learning, the content of the folder is uninspiring to say the least.
    We have spent many hours totally rewriting the content in an attempt to deliver the messages in a way that is more appropriate to Early Years children.

We don't have a choice we have to deliver it. The atmosphere in our school amongst staff is now strained. 5 year olds are sitting in rows chanting (or eating cups!!), Able children are now confused, less able children are filling out worksheets that they don't understand ( they don't know their numbers to 10 but are 'adding' 100's.)

If your school is failing in Maths it might be appropriate but if you are a creative and successful school their might be better ways of spending your money!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

If it's not working in successful schools for the reasons you've given, surely it's even ess appropriate for schools that are failing in maths?

3. Our school took on MMS and I tried it in reception for 1/2 term before I gave up and returned to what we did best. Child interest led with lots of different activities to engage the children. The rest of the school struggled through for a year before finally dropping it. There was lots of tension in school with some teachers liking it and some really hating it.
    Hopefully your head will see the error of their ways very soon.

4. As a Head of a school who has been teaching Maths Makes Sense for 3 years it saddens me to see these comments. We have had massive success in improving the mathematical understanding of our children and it has been a huge success with our staff - improving confidence for teachers and teaching assistants. We regularly show school leaders and teachers our Maths Makes Sense sessions across school, including Early Years, and all are impressed with the children's learning and the majority have implemented Maths Makes Sense since. I would strongly recommend a visit to a school who does MMS successfully. As with any curriculum area, systems need to be implemented effectively and monitored regularly to ensure its success for your school. Maths Makes Sense is the most consistent and well crafted learning system I have come across (in any subject) and would not hesitate to implement into a school I was head of.

5. As a Head of a school who has been teaching Maths Makes Sense for 3 years it saddens me to see these comments. We have had massive success in improving the mathematical understanding of our children and it has been a huge success with our staff - improving confidence for teachers and teaching assistants. We regularly show scool leaders and teachers our Maths Makes Sense sessions across school, including Early Years, and all are impressed with the children's learning and the majority have implemented Maths Makes Sense since. I would strongly recommend a visit to a school who does MMS successfully. As with any curriculum area, systems need to be implemented effectively and monitored regularly to ensure its success for your school. Maths Makes Sense is the most consistent and well crafted learning system I have come across (in any subject) and would not hesitate to implement into a school I was head of.