1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years help, please - interview activity and other questions...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TAWren, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I hope yu don't mind me gatecrashing! I am a TA and have an interview next Monday in the Foundation Stage. A couple of questions -
    1) My activity is: we would like you to plan and deliver a 10-15 minute
    speaking and listening activity based on your favourite book for a group of 8
    foundation stage 2 children.
    I do have a couple of favourite books, one meing a book called 'Mrs McTats and her house full of cats' where she starts off with one cat and they kep arriving at her door until she has 26 - all named from A-Z. Now you can't read the book phonetically, (some parts you can, the first cat's name is Abner - so I could say the letter sound, but others you can't) Does this matter? Will they expect me to choose a book that has that sort of learning potential in it. Part of me says no don't be daft- I read stories to F2 all the time and have never chosen a story for it's phonetical content. Also is the'listening' part the children listening to me? I plan to get them involved by talking about the cats and their names etc, so there is also an element of me listening to them.
    2. The letter also says:
    During the course of the morning you will carry out
    your practical task at 10.40am, and be given a tour of the school at 11.00am,
    your interview will take place in the afternoon at 3.00pm.

Should you choose you are very welcome to spend the
    day with us, and order a school lunch.
    I only live 3 minutes drive from the school (about 20 minutes walk) but am thinking that it will look good if I stay all day (I am more than happy to) But I am concerned about feeling awkward, not know how involved I will be expected to get, and also if there are other candidates staying all day, that could be a bit awkward!!! HELP!!!
    Sorry one last quickie - my application clearly states that I would like to job share as I cannot work full time - due to OU studies, I am soing my degree. Should I assume they have read my application properly and know this, I don't want it to be an issue on the day. My sister (a TA)says a school will almost always choose a person who can work full time against a person who can only do a job share - is this true. The county council state that all posts in schools are suitable for a job share.
    Thanks in advance, Wren

2. Hi,
    I hope yu don't mind me gatecrashing! I am a TA and have an interview next Monday in the Foundation Stage. A couple of questions -
    1) My activity is: we would like you to plan and deliver a 10-15 minute
    speaking and listening activity based on your favourite book for a group of 8
    foundation stage 2 children.
    I do have a couple of favourite books, one meing a book called 'Mrs McTats and her house full of cats' where she starts off with one cat and they kep arriving at her door until she has 26 - all named from A-Z. Now you can't read the book phonetically, (some parts you can, the first cat's name is Abner - so I could say the letter sound, but others you can't) Does this matter? Will they expect me to choose a book that has that sort of learning potential in it. Part of me says no don't be daft- I read stories to F2 all the time and have never chosen a story for it's phonetical content. Also is the'listening' part the children listening to me? I plan to get them involved by talking about the cats and their names etc, so there is also an element of me listening to them.
    2. The letter also says:
    During the course of the morning you will carry out
    your practical task at 10.40am, and be given a tour of the school at 11.00am,
    your interview will take place in the afternoon at 3.00pm.

Should you choose you are very welcome to spend the
    day with us, and order a school lunch.
    I only live 3 minutes drive from the school (about 20 minutes walk) but am thinking that it will look good if I stay all day (I am more than happy to) But I am concerned about feeling awkward, not know how involved I will be expected to get, and also if there are other candidates staying all day, that could be a bit awkward!!! HELP!!!
    Sorry one last quickie - my application clearly states that I would like to job share as I cannot work full time - due to OU studies, I am soing my degree. Should I assume they have read my application properly and know this, I don't want it to be an issue on the day. My sister (a TA)says a school will almost always choose a person who can work full time against a person who can only do a job share - is this true. The county council state that all posts in schools are suitable for a job share.
    Thanks in advance, Wren

3. 1. Children do the speaking and the listening (that you listen to the children is a given). If you feel the phonics of the book might confuse think what else you can get from it. For instance, it seems possible it might contain rhymes, so you could focus in on that. But I would agree with your sentiment that it's a story not a textbook, and I think you should help the children to enjoy it as a story rather than pulling too much out of it. Concentrating on an aspect such as rhyme of phonics can detract from the story and the children's enjoyment of the story. I expect you are great at story-telling, so display those skills and get the children excited about the characters and what might happen next, welcoming their ideas and encouraging them all to participate (that's where rhyme can come in - children anticipating and supplying rhymes).
    2. I would agree that you should stay all day. It will help you to get a feel for the school. Hopefully it won't be awkward with the other applicants as they are sure to be friendly. Try to relax and, while obviously being on your best behaviour, don't try to constantly impress all day long. That can come across badly. Perhaps you will get a chance to help out in a class during the afternoon, and that will probably help you feel more relaxed for the interview.3.i'm not sure about the job share aspect, but if you impress them they will want you. It might be an idea just to remind them at an appropriate point in the interview eg when they ask you if you have anything to add or any questions, or when they ask you about yourself and why you want the job (often the first question).Good luck.

4. Thanks for the reply, Thumbie... The book is rhyming - one of the reasons I love it! It has some repetitive rhyming where I can try to encourage the children to join in.
    I am definatey going to stay all day. I am also a little concerned about how involved they may expect me to be, given the circumstance. I am used to getting stuck in and don't think this level of involvment, espcially with children that I don't know is appropriate.
    I do get really nervous at interviews and though I know my stuff, my mind tends to go blank! So I hope that being at the school all day prior to my interview will help me feel more at ease.
    Any interview tips, please? IE what may they ask? I expect the usual child protect ones, butwould really appreciate any example questions anyone might have.
    Wren

5. I'm not sure about questions as I have only been for teacher interviews in the last 10 years! However, if I was interviewing you for a TA role I would want to be sure that you would find out about school policies and follow them eg behaviour / safeguarding, so if asked about anything like that it's wise to say you would follow school policy as well as showing that you know about the issues; I would want to be sure that you would be aware of the need for confidentiality and of your responsibility to show loyalty and commitment to the school; I would want to know you had knowledge of the EYFS and useful experience with children, and that you would follow planning and contribute to planning if asked; I would be looking to see that you would build relationships with the other members of staff in the team and be able to work as a team member; and I would want to be sure that you would maintain a professional relationship with children and parents.For general tips about interviews you should use the resources on this site, there's lots of good stuff on there.Good luck.