1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years Help for Home Learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ellewoos, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi
    My family recently moved abroad for a few years and I am worried about my 3 year old falling behind in her school work. She is 3 years old (4 in August) and would have been starting school this September. As it is, where we are (Germany) they don't teach kids to read and write etc until they are 6!! By that point we will likely have moved back to the Uk and so I want to do some home learning to help her cover the basics of what she would be doing in school as part of the early years education.
    Could someone please tell me which documents I should be reading/curriculum that covers or maps out what is to be taught to 4-6 year olds and how? I have had a look online but not founf anything as yet
    Thanks for any help you can offer

2. Hi
    My family recently moved abroad for a few years and I am worried about my 3 year old falling behind in her school work. She is 3 years old (4 in August) and would have been starting school this September. As it is, where we are (Germany) they don't teach kids to read and write etc until they are 6!! By that point we will likely have moved back to the Uk and so I want to do some home learning to help her cover the basics of what she would be doing in school as part of the early years education.
    Could someone please tell me which documents I should be reading/curriculum that covers or maps out what is to be taught to 4-6 year olds and how? I have had a look online but not founf anything as yet
    Thanks for any help you can offer

3. Hi a good home learning environment (HLE) will provide:- Parent reading to the child, Parent taking their child to the Library, Child playing with letters, Parent helping their child to learn the alphabet, Parent teaching their child numbers or counting, Parent teaching their child songs, poems or nursery rhymes, Child painting or drawing at home (From The Early Home Learning Index).
    Also such things as helping you with cooking, shopping, listening walks, outdoor play especially gardening. Sharing stories together and talking are a great way of spending time together without the distraction of T.V! The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is used presently with a consultation process being undertaken at the moment by the Coaltion Government. The new framework will take effect from Sept 2012 in early years settings. Hope this is of some help?! JC.

4. Hi
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, we do pretty much all of what you have listed. I have started drawing letters for her to trace and colour. What I am not confident with though is how to teach her to read and write. Should I beusingthe phonics system? If so, how do I go about that? How and when do you show a child to start writing letters themselves - ie how do they actually manipulate the hand and pen to make the shapes in the right way. Am I over thinking this? At the moment she knows how to write some letters through my fairly crass explanations - eg draw a circle and put a tail on it to make a lower case 'a'. I guess I am looking to learn the right way to teach a child to formulate letters and words and to put sounds together to read words. Is there any literature you could recommend?

Thanks again