1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years Furniture Barriers

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by SKS1, Aug 20, 2019.

?

What issues do you face with your furniture in your EY setting?

This poll will close on Nov 20, 2019 at 10:23 PM.
  1. Lack of furniture to create areas of provision (and no money to buy more)

2. It's old and tatty

3. Nowhere to store furniture that isn't needed

4. Too much furniture!

5. The furniture for areas of provision is fine but the storage cupboards are big and ugly

6. I spend ages turning pieces of furniture into different things

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if the issues I'm facing in relation to furniture (or lack of) are common in other early years settings. For example, when it comes to creating areas of provision I'm having to beg and borrow from all sorts of places.

My Reception setting changes over time and "grows" with the children so the furniture that I have at the start of the year might not be age-appropriate towards the end. Then I have nowhere to store it or nothing to replace it with. Do any of you have these issues? Any suggestions as to how I can help myself?

I'd appreciate it if you could fill out the poll too, I'm also evidence gathering in case I need something to back me up in the future!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My biggest issue is with built in furniture and poorly designed layout of radiators and windows. It means I have no wall space at child height at all and no child height surfaces for 3D displays.

I don't have issues with children growing out of furniture over the year...it's all built in and still too tall at the end!!!

3. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

Thanks for replying. That must be a real pain, I find that the layout of the unit doesn’t lend itself well to creating areas naturally.

Does the built in furniture have to stay for you?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

It would take a braver person than me to suggest to the powers that be that it is all removed!
    The floors and walls would need serious redecoration afterwards at huge cost.
    Then of course, we'd need to buy freestanding furniture to use...

5. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

I understand. Are you in reception or nursery?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

7. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Before I left England to teach overseas, I used to make do with what I had. I just had to get creative with furniture. Turning things on their side, upside down and teaching the children to think differently about things too. Hard work but get second opinions and colleagues to help offer advice!

8. SKS1

SKS1 New commenter

Thanks Rob :) where are you teaching now?

9. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I'm in China now. Best move I've done. I'm lucky to have an incredible classroom in an incredible school with the ability to buy what I want, when I want it. Not everyone is so lucky. Definitely worth leaving England for haha