1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

early years foundation stage scores

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by helicop, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hi, Have just rec'd daughters report with an overall score of 90, all in range 6-8. But obviously with the 6's & 7's she has not finished the eyfs, yet she will be KS1 in September. Is this a good score or not, would we not expect able pupils to complete eyfs, should I have concerns about her ability to cope with KS1?

2. Hi, Have just rec'd daughters report with an overall score of 90, all in range 6-8. But obviously with the 6's & 7's she has not finished the eyfs, yet she will be KS1 in September. Is this a good score or not, would we not expect able pupils to complete eyfs, should I have concerns about her ability to cope with KS1?

3. Hi helicop,
    My DD got 91 and I was feeling a bit miffed but it seems most of her class have similar scores so maybe this is the new system... Accompanying letter from school mentioned 78 as being the score to equal or pass so maybe I'm being a bit old fashioned lol

4. Hi, not so sure that many people will reply to a thread on this but people may message you.Your daughter has done brilliantly- A foundation teacher's dream!! You really do not need to worry about her ability to cope in Keystage 1. To get scale point 9,children need to get 1-8, point 9's are tricky to give away and can be so hard to award as the Scores in foundation stage predict KS1 Sats results and as much as people may try to make the point 9's match to NC level study..if just really doesn't. An average of 78 is what most would hope for... scoring 6 points across the 13 strands.
    Finding consistant evidence for the following is extremely hard... I know much older children or even adults that I wouldn't say could do the following ...
    Sustains involvement and perseveres, particularly when trying to solve a problem/reach a satisfactory conclusion
    Displays a strong/positive sense of self-identity and is able to express a range of emotions fluently and appropriately
    Talks and listens confidently and with control, consistently showing awareness of the listener by including relevant detail. Use lang to work out/clarify ideas, showing control of a range of appropriate vocab
    Communicates simple planning for investigations/ constructions & makes simple records & evaluations of their work. Identifies/names key features & properties, sometimes linking diff experiences, obs and events. Begins to explore what it means to belong to a variety of groups/ communities.
    Repeats, links and adapts simple movements, sometimes commenting on their work. Demonstrates coordination and control in large/small movements and in using a range of tools and equipment.
    Expresses feelings and preferences in response to artwork, drama and music and makes some comparisons/links between diff pieces. Responds to own work/that of others when exploring/
    communicating ideas/ feelings/preferences in art/music/dance/role-play/imaginative play
    Please talk to your child's teacher though, I am sure that they would talk to you about any concerns that you may have.
    Catherine (Reception teacher)

5. I'm just amazed schools are giving EYFSP 'scores' to parents. If I were going to do this I would expect every parent to come and discuss exactly what it meant.
    Did you get that opportunity?

6. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

We have given parents the scores since they existed, thought it was expected along with ks1 levels and ks2 levels? We give an explanatory sheet as to give info.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The legal requirement is to provide parents with a summary of their child's profile and to share the profile if it is requested by parents.In KS1& 2levels are required in reports for Y2 & Y6 only.

8. PS.....We don't give out scores to parents and would only ever tell a parent scores if they requested that information. So far, I have never been asked.

9. Our reports include the profile points and which ones have been attained.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I would look at the scores and see what they mean from the profile sheet that you can find on the web. You can find a descriptor for each point and some guidance that gives examples of what a teacher might need to see to award a particular point. Then if there are any points where you feel your child should be able to do more than the point they have been given do something about it at home if you can do so in a fun way. Or don't bother, just bear in mind that once in Year 1/2 your child will sail through these particular things in a different way as part of the KS1 curriculum. You might see mostly that it is just that the school has been prudent about which points to give, or hasn't got evidence for some reason with which to satisfy a sticky moderator (which some schools still seem to suffer from).
    Sorry I'm just a parent, but I don't think that nationally the EYFS profile scores are very "accurate", and it probably doesn't really matter. What it does tell you is either what that particular teacher thought of your child on a date quite a while ago, or what they had blinding evidence for, again quite a while ago. Nothing more, nothing less.

11. I have only ever been asked for profile scores by one parent who was a primary teacher, and therefore understood what the scale points were about.
    For me, reporting on children's progress is writing their end of year reports, in which I refer to specific aspects of their attainment on the profile. No mention of scores.

12. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

That's great and far more useful if the words in your report mean something to the parents. The words in our reports did not really mean anything .... eg. "x is beginning to understand what addition means" !! I felt sorry for teachers spending their time writing stuff designed not to mean anything to anyone. We'd have been better off with the scores and the sheet off the internet, or a brief note explaining that there were no reports this year which was freeing up the teachers to talk to you if you wanted to know something, or to do whatever else they saw fit to do.

13. I work hard on making my reports relevant and parent friendly. I talk about what children have enjoyed, achieved and what they should work on next.
    Parents seemto be satisfied with them and believe me when I say that we have parents who would soon express if they were not!!