1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

early years experience for senco

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by griffi2000, Feb 20, 2016.

1. woolly2000

woolly2000 New commenter

Advice needed about gaining early years experience.
    I am currently working as a special needs teacher in the secondary department of a special school. I would like to apply for primary senco jobs. I am primary trained and have several years of junior experience but have never worked in early years. What would be the best way to get early years experience?
    I work 3 days so could potentially volunteer? Is there a course I could do in early years? I don't yet have the senco qualification as my current employer wouldn't support me to do it.
    I feel a bit stuck and would love ideas of how I can branch out in new directions from my current role

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Volunteering is a good idea. A volunteer who is willing to come in on a regular basis and can commit to a decent chunk of time is usually more valuable to the school than someone who wants to come in for just a week. Contact your local infant/primary schools - a visit, phone call or letter is better than an e-mail - and tell them the purpose of the volunteering and what you can offer the school, including times, days and length of time (next term, until the summer, etc).