1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years displays-first few weeks

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vuittonprincess, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hello there,
    I'm starting my NQT year as a reception teacher, the classroom I will be in is currently an un-used room and is totally bare. All the provision areas are in a different room and the classroom will just be used for phonics and registration/teaching inputs.
    I have at least 4 display boards that I have backed and borderd ready for the start of term.
    Other than the general star of the day/week display and birthdays etc, what else could I put up for the first few weeks? I would like to make the room look really bright and lovely as currently it's so bleak and bare! I've got all the usual stuff off **********-alphabet, numberlines etc to hang around the room but I am really struggling for ideas for actual displays!
    Thanks!

2. Hello there,
    I'm starting my NQT year as a reception teacher, the classroom I will be in is currently an un-used room and is totally bare. All the provision areas are in a different room and the classroom will just be used for phonics and registration/teaching inputs.
    I have at least 4 display boards that I have backed and borderd ready for the start of term.
    Other than the general star of the day/week display and birthdays etc, what else could I put up for the first few weeks? I would like to make the room look really bright and lovely as currently it's so bleak and bare! I've got all the usual stuff off **********-alphabet, numberlines etc to hang around the room but I am really struggling for ideas for actual displays!
    Thanks!

3. Could the children do self portraits in the first few weeks? Painting,drawing or paper plate ones?Hello display in different languages? or a big world map and where we have been on holiday or if your school has a good representation of different cultures maybe where our families have links with, each family could write a little piece or provide bits to put next to their country.
    Still don't understand why people are using **********?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's not much help for this year, but when my new class come for transition days in the summer I get them to do paintings. I have these on the walls for when they arrive in September so they can feel it is 'their' room.

I agree about ********** - there are plenty of other sites to choose - Mrs Pancake, Teachers Pet, Early Learning HQ, ******, to name a few.

5. I always get the children to do some work on transfer day. I work in nursery and this year just put out free painting. Not all children did a painting but what I had, I cut off the parents name writing (control freak, I know), then backed it on black with a sticker with their name and transfer day + date in the middle underneath. They've filled two display boards. I just made a sign saying "our gallery". Now the children have some of their own work which they will hopefully recognise when they start nursery.
    When I had a REception class, we used to cut out Elmers and a TA used to sit with the Elmer's and gummed paper. We then read the story of Elmer before the children went home (on transfer day) and all their elephants were displayed ready in the classroom when they started school.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I get children do paint 2 pictures on their first day - 1 for the walls and 1 to go home. That gets a board (and a few cupboard doors) filled up in a few days. I've backed the free painting board with orange paper so that it can later be turned into an Autumn display later on in the term.
    I've got another board with children's uniform - outgrown clothes from the spares box. There are labels asking questions about what we wear to school. It links in with the discussions we have in the first few weeks about getting to know the school.
    We look at a 2-d shape a week in the first few weeks, starting with squares. I know that I'm going to do some square printing so I have a board backed and labelled ready for that.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's given me an idea - thanks! I might draw round children and dress the cut-outs in Uniform and PE kit to put on the board with labels. For the parents benefit, I'll do some big reminders to name the children's clothes.

8. I have several boards ready for the children.
    1. Our art work - which the children can put any art work they do on.
    2. board for birthday's and bears stars of the week.
    3. Writing wall with key words, alphabet and sentences on and a space for the children to put up thier own writing.
    4. Numeracy board with numbers, shapes etc
    5. Targets board- It has a tree to which their caterpillars will climb up as they learn their sounds. The centre of a sun which they add their names in rays as they learn to write them. A bee hive that they add bumble bees to ass their learn to write their numbers.
    The other boards in the classroom are used for topic displays etc

9. I tend to leave most of the dsiplay boards blank!
    In my mind I have ideas of how boards can progress but they are backed with neutral colours and swashes of material to add texture. At each child's home visit in September they are given All About Me books and choose which page of their book they wish to display after the first few weeks at school. The parents complete these with the child at home so it instantly value parental input.
    As for the other boards, I too have an art gallery board with photos of music exploration, drama and wider art 'things'. This is low level and children add what they wish, when they wish!
    The rest of the display boards the children and I talk about when they start school. We talk about what we are learning, what they are interested in, based on the seasons and a theme, and take it from there. Children then have an amazing sense of involvement right from the start. They use blu-tak to stick up their pictures and often photocopy their pictures so they can take one home and pop the other on the wall. Children sculpt their own environment which is amazingly powerful.
    The phonics wall builds as children learn their sounds.
    I also take down the labels in the room and encourage them to label things as they play with them.
    The environment looks bright and colourful for them to come in as alphabet friezes, number lines and a transition board with uniform are already there.
    I like the idea of target boards. I might give it a try this year!

10. I agree about ********** - there are plenty of other sites to choose - Mrs Pancake, Teachers Pet, Early Learning HQ, ******, to name a few.

Thank You InkyP I have been looking for alternatives to ********** for quite some time now and have been handwriting peg and drawer labels which aren't quite so attractive as the ones on these sites, I have had a good look at them all and will be using them lots in the future - many thanks for mentioning them!

11. For drawers, coat pegs, and their learning journals I have made my own template on 'word' where I just type in the names each year.
    I use R/O/Y/G/B/P to print these off, in register order so it's a repeating rainbow on the pegs etc.
    Then I find clip art pictures with the same initial sound as the child's name. I print off two large for coat pegs and learning journals and a smaller one for their drawers.
    They're cut out and stuck on before laminating. A bit time consuming but worth the effort and they are all very individual and personalised for each child.
    The only real problem is when you have 6 children all with the initial 'J' - juggler, jigsaw, jack-in-a-box, and 'E' is terrible as well!!

12. I am starting my NQT year as a reception teacher in september too. A couple of the display boards have to be left up with work from the last reception class in case perspective parents come and look around over the summer. As my children have attended kindergarten in the school in which I will be working, during the first few days I am going to get a few children to say something nice about each child in turn, I will then write these on a petal to create a flower for each child, which will fill one display board, I am hoping this will make all the children feel involved in the classroom straight away, and also will be nice for the parents to see. I like the idea of a target board, however, I am unsure in my school if the parents would pay too much attention to this and start to compare their children! I had also thought about doing self protraits for another display as our first topic is all about me.

13. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Caramel
    I love this idea I don't suppose you have a photo? Your caterpillars climbing the tree for your letter sounds do they move up for each letter sounds or in steps of say 5?
    Hope you don't mind but thinking how I can use your ideas. Thanks for sharing

14. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter