1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Years!!!! AAAAARGH!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sian.organ, Jun 17, 2019.

1. sian.organ

sian.organ New commenter

I have been a TA for nearly 20 years, nearly all of it in upper KS2. I am currently working with a great Yr4 team, undertaking all the usual including PPA cover, but from next year I am having to join the Reception team. I work part-time as does another TA who is secondary trained and is being forced to go to Nursery! I never asked to work part-time but that was the job that was advertised 5 years ago. I have no Early Years experience and the thought of it fills me with complete dread and terror. I really am not an 'Early Years Person'!!!!! As with all schools the school is suffering from small budgetitis and I am beginning to feel as though I am being made to resign my post, in a very underhand way (constructive dismissal?) as the Head Teacher is fully aware of my point of view. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Supplylady likes this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I seriously don't think the HT wants you to resign - a TA with 20 years experience who is happy to cover PPA is too valuable. And you say a secondary trained TA is being moved to nursery - I'm sure the Head doesn't want you both to go.
    Budget cuts are biting hard everywhere. No-one has been made redundant at our school, but we haven't replaced TAs who have left for a few years now, so our numbers are greatly reduced and staff often have to move 'out of their comfort zone'. There isn't always a TA full-time in every class now. It's happening everywhere.
    See it as a challenge and give it a go - you might enjoy it much more than you expect. Good luck!

Supplylady and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. sian.organ

sian.organ New commenter

Thank you for your words of encouragement. The other TA resigned today! That kept the HT very happy. Sadly they are an HT who would prefer an argument and upset staff rather than keeping a happy and settled workforce. Many have been upset by HT this year and previously many have left, unable to work with them. I am 2 1/2 yrs off my 60th birthday and the thought of 'playing' with 4/5 yr olds (I know there is more to tit than that!), is not my idea of a job that I previously lived for. I was employed to work in upper KS2! I am in such a quandary and finding it hard to go in each day. Hopefully it can be sorted but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Last summer a TA in my school was told she was moving to Early Years, which she wasn't happy about at all, as she felt she was very much a "no lower than KS1" kind of person. She has asked to stay in Early Years next year...

I agree with @sunshineneeded - give it a go and see how it goes. If you enjoy it as much as you think you're going to, the option to resign is still available to you. Or you could request to move to a different year group the following year; you've got more of an argument to put on the table if you've given it a go and it really isn't for you. But you might find that it's not as bad as you're imagining.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are you okay physically with early years? (I have back issues, and if I were working in early years I would need to be very careful indeed, and would not be able to do some things as efficiently as a younger member of staff - I would want to raise it as a concern.)

sian.organ likes this.
  6. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I work on supply in the EYFS as a teacher and I am 58 yrs old.
    All I can say is give it a go as it can be great fun, try and embrace it and find your inner child . The thing that might concern me as a TA is having to deal with personal care.

7. sian.organ

sian.organ New commenter

Thank you for your optimism. I previously had to cover a Reception Teacher in my previous job and disliked every second of it, which backed up my thoughts. If we request a move to a different year group we are purposely placed in a group totally not suited. I have never wished to work in early years and as such have not had any relevant training. I was told last week that I must go and spend some time 'playing' with the current yrR. Aaaaaaargh! Thank you for your thoughts.

8. sian.organ

sian.organ New commenter

I do have back and knee issues and the thought of getting up and down constantly does worry me. Thank yo for your thoughts.

9. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Good luck! EYFS is so different to KS1 and KS2 and it is exhausting because they need so much care and attention and you can't take anything for granted. I liked EYFS, but was permanently shattered and caught illnesses more easily such as the vomiting bug. I'm now working in KS1 and 2. All the best.

10. sian.organ

sian.organ New commenter

Thank you for your comment. I am a long term type 1 diabetic (52 years) and am really concerned with how it will affect my control. I am usually very fit but the thought of being exhausted, trying to cope with the demands,picking up illnesses and my daily control, worries me to death.