1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early-summer London TES meet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by EmanuelShadrack, Jul 6, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

@gargs at least you haven't bottled it! I was so looking forward to it as well.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just preparing to leave the house and it is already very hot, so wondering what to wear when you first spend an hour watering vegetables and then meet a relative from the airport and then hotfoot it into London to meet some nice people who post on here?
    The only thing I can see which is breezy enough for all of that is the large white sheet with hole in the middle which my son wore years ago in his Nativity Play.
    The input to the milieu of this self assured look is just one of many many reasons I am looking forward to meeting today-see you there, hope your tracks don't buckle.

3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Yesterday I was wearing a large white shirt with several holes in it! Sadly, I don't think it would be appropriate for being seen in public so will be wearing something with fewer holes.

4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

OK I'm downstairs, at a table for six, with a view of the main door.

I'm wearing a white short-sleeved shirt, and have a small laptop in front of me.

There's a couple on the other end of the table. She's wearing a red dress.

5. EmanuelShadrack

PrimaryCat has just joined me...

6. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Good luck to those of you braving the searing heat, the buckling lines and the reduced levels of transport in the SE this afternoon.

Enjoy :)

7. EmanuelShadrack

It's nice and cool here in O'Neills. The air-conditioning is working well...

The cricket is on the telly. It's all very civilized.

Lara mfl 05, blue451 and nomad like this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

Right, gargs has just arrived, we've changed tables, and I'm putting the laptop away.

It's all going on here I can tell you.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

See you in a few hours - off to resit my theory test (expired)...

10. BertieBassett2

Aw, have fun and so sorry I wimped out. @primarycat how was the Central Line your end? Am sitting by my fan (electric, as opposed to an ardent follower...) and doing my best to keep cool. Have a lime and soda for me and I was going to have the chicken and avocado burger.

11. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Your last post made me laugh out loud Bertie, I shall save your fan quip for a suitable occasion!

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

Happy to oblige and when you do use it, no need to acknowledge the source....

1 person likes this.
  13. sabrinakat

Train cancelled on my end....will do some investigation as to other routes....

14. sabrinakat

No fast trains at all; so by slow train, it would take almost two hours, and would arrive about 5:30-6pm - so will have to beg off today.

Hopefully will see all on Saturday 10tb August!

(and I did pass my theory test (again).

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Someone happened to mention today is 'The Meet day'! :D

As others have said I would have had to cancel in view of the weather forecast 3 + hrs (prob. nearer 4 with trains having to go slow) on a hot train would have been bad enough, although I could avoid the Underground by walking, in ethic heat would not have been pleasant, so I'm glad I didn't say yes.
    Trust all those who did meet up had a good time though. :D

16. BertieBassett2

17. BertieBassett2

Apparently, TfL are giving ice lollies to commuters!

primarycat, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  18. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

To those who went stay in the pub. Save yourselves. It's a lot hotter out than in. Lovely to see @gargs again, to meet @sbkrobson and many thanks to @EmanuelShadrack for organising it and for the wine. I owe you a drink or 2 next time.

Hope to see those who couldn't make this one at another meet.

19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I only tried the Piccadilly line but it was slow and hot.

On another note AIBU to regret being the first to leave the pub? I got home to a raging brexit argument (Not with me. I hid in the kitchen).

20. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Hope you all had a lovely time! I enjoyed meeting some of you last time. I ended up sitting in the park doing puzzles before tiring of the heat. Didn't even know about this meet up until I checked forums just now!