1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Retirement

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by frogusmaximus, Dec 21, 2019.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

NHS? it's a funny one as my experiences have only been good:
    • My daughter gave birth to a healthy baby girl in September. The pre natal and ante natal care, along with the birth itself, was perfect.
    • I had a health scare which was detected quickly, tested quickly and (luckily) found to be fine
    • My brother fell off his bike, fractured/dislocated his elbow and detached his triceps. All dealt with very quickly.
    • My brother had cataracts detected and within 12 weeks had both lenses taken out and brand new lenses 'installed'.
    They do work under very difficult circumstances, but in all of the circumstances above, the patients were cared for by very dedicated staff who did not let their circumstances affect their positive nature.

576 likes this.
  2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

My sister-in-law has triumphantly survived two life-threatening conditions as a result of outstanding treatment and care at a hospital in Ipswich but clearly there are stresses and strains in the NHS as a whole. In Spain the quality of public health care is famously high, though I understand that we in wealthy Malaga province are better served than our neighbours a kilometre up the road in Cordoba. Our village health centre is staffed 365 days of the year. I went there at 6.00 pm last Saturday with a minor but extremely painful problem, was treated in ten minutes and had my first good night's sleep in over a week. We can book a 'regular' GP appointment at two day's notice. It would be rash to say 'never' but Mrs M and I would not readily quit Dumbers's oft-quoted 300 days of sunshine to return to the foggy UK . And, pace Stopwatch, there's a lot more to do here than get possed in a bar.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Happy Christmas George!! My comment about Spain and getting ‘p*ssed’ was just a suggestion of what somebody who is ignorant of the real options over there, might say. Similar to comments about Corrie and 364 days of rain in the UK. I don’t actually believe either comments to be true.
    I am sure that you will know that I am quite balanced when it comes to forming opinions.
    I get quite irritated by people who ‘dis’ the choice of those who want to live in UK as if you have to be crazy to do this. No you don’t. It becomes quite tiresome after a while.
    Similarly, the choice of living overseas is a personal one and should be respected. I have read your comments over the years and agree that you seem to have a very fulfilled and interesting life over there, and proves my point.
    BTW on a side note, I am going with two old college pals on a tour of Ypres and the Somme in July. We have chosen characters from Dad’s Army as our ‘tour monikers’. I am pleased to report that I have been nominated as being George Mainwaring.

576 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Feliz Navidad. I'm confident that you'll give my moniker the respect it deserves. I toured those battlefields as a sixth former in nineteen-hundred-and-frozen-to-death, guided by M. Tison who was the double of Maurice Chevalier, including the accent. His nephew Robert, a Resistance leader executed at Arras by the Gestapo, had been married to my French teacher, older than my mother but still gorgeous when she taught me. This year, through DNA, we discovered the identity of Mrs M's 'missing' grandfather who, having knocked up her then teenage granny, had been killed storming a trench at Arras in 1918. To complete a trio of coincidences, my great uncle, and substitute grandfather had been shot at Arras, though when I asked him about it forty years later he denied it and claimed just to have dropped a shell on his foot.

It's a glorious Christmas morning here in Andalucia Mrs M is cooking the turkey watched intently by Biggles the Aspull Terrier and Bella the Brat. I've just finished sweeping up the debris from Saturday's gale. There will be a fortune for the scientist who manages to breed the square olive.

stopwatch likes this.