1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Wfairy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Hi can anyone help me with some advice. I am a carer for my husband and thinking of reducing hours because of his deteriorating health or taking retirement.Only problem is im only 53. Anyone help me with advice or help where i can find it .

Thanks

2. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

I understood it is quite difficult to get early retirement, because the pension scheme is struggling to make ends meet. I hope your circumstances satisfy the criteria, and therefore you should take it, I think.
    I guess you will be able to get financial help for the caring of your husband, you will be free of the day-to-day burdens of full-time teaching, and being your own boss you will have the time to sort out what else you might do.
    If you like teaching, supply work or private tuition comes to mind, otherwise develop any special interests or skills you have. You have at least 20 years of a fully active life ahead of you. Good luck!

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you realy should contact your teachers pensions and ask them.....usually the mimimum age used to be 55 but they might allow you to retire with reduced pension......but you must check.I would ring them up.i have always found them helpfull.

4. Can you post if you get any further with this. I'm in almost exactly the same position as you and would like to explore my options.

Thanks

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

7. My husband is disbabled, but I am still working....... Some days I am very torn, should I be at home full time. But on the whole thank God I am still there otherwise I would go crackers! Could you job share/go part time to make life easier on yourself? I would say think very carefully before you abandon your life that presumably still enjoy.