1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Early Retirement via Ill Health but lacking Medical Evidence?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by myheadhurts, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi all, joined the forum hoping for any input as per title, many thanks in advance for any contributions!
    I am 55 at the end of this academic year so can take an ARB pension. It is not so much that I want to retire, it is that I feel that I have to.
    5 years ago I had 9 months or so off work/teaching due to major Labyrinthitis/balance problems. I knew that when I returned it would have to be part-time in order to survive, so went back on a 50% timetable. I have struggled over the last 5 years as the general noise of a D&T workshop plus the pupils etc, not to mention the act of teaching itself, leaves me dizzy/shattered by the end of the day. Hometime is usually spent recovering for the next audible battering back in school. My general hearing system is suffering as time goes by and now I am starting to find it hard to hear what the pupils are saying when background noise is present.
    I have 'soldiered on' to 55 knowing that I could retire then, and have not been back to the doctor or occupational health since I went part time.
    I was wondering if I have any chance of getting an ill health pension so that I do not lose anything via ARB?
    Is there anyone out there with a similar experience?

2. Hi all, joined the forum hoping for any input as per title, many thanks in advance for any contributions!
    I am 55 at the end of this academic year so can take an ARB pension. It is not so much that I want to retire, it is that I feel that I have to.
    5 years ago I had 9 months or so off work/teaching due to major Labyrinthitis/balance problems. I knew that when I returned it would have to be part-time in order to survive, so went back on a 50% timetable. I have struggled over the last 5 years as the general noise of a D&T workshop plus the pupils etc, not to mention the act of teaching itself, leaves me dizzy/shattered by the end of the day. Hometime is usually spent recovering for the next audible battering back in school. My general hearing system is suffering as time goes by and now I am starting to find it hard to hear what the pupils are saying when background noise is present.
    I have 'soldiered on' to 55 knowing that I could retire then, and have not been back to the doctor or occupational health since I went part time.
    I was wondering if I have any chance of getting an ill health pension so that I do not lose anything via ARB?
    Is there anyone out there with a similar experience?

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I am sorry to be negative, but if you still have a pulse you are unlikely to be permitted to retire early because of ill-health.

4. Unfortunately that is true. As you have been in work to this point they will not judge you medically unfit to work.

5. Ask to see the OT and get his opinion.